Oh my GOD.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
"you can take the boy out of the mountain but you can't take the mountain out of the boy".
R..

Uhhh, Diver0001? I have some news for you amigo. Those "mountains" you're talking about...... in Holland? They may look high to you, but they're just man made hills and were built for retaining water.

If you have nothing, you have nothing to lose,

It is kind of refreshing.

OTOH if you have buckets of cash, then doing nothing would be a lot more fun..

Hank49:
Uhhh, Diver0001? I have some news for you amigo. Those "mountains" you're talking about...... in Holland? They may look high to you, but they're just man made hills and were built for retaining water.

I spent much of my life living in the Rocky Mountains in the border area between British Columbia and Alberta. Holland is where I live now. My father actually said that thing about the mountains to me when I moved here (after the last time I went walk-about) and when I asked him to explain what he meant he said "you'll see". I think sometimes that man knows me better than I know myself.

R..

Diver0001:
". I think sometimes that man knows me better than I know myself.

R..

That's what I tell my son. The saying is pretty common in the States but "country" is used instead of "mountain".

...I want to move to upstate NY and enjoy the terrain and water up there. But, I have a factory job (no future except retirement, but 11 years there) that someone would kill to have right now. It is has good pay, benefits, and supports the buying of double tanks and potentially a rebreather down the road.

Reality... the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I am better off staying on this side of it than risking an uncertain future by chucking it all for something else.

What is it about IT work? I've been doing this particular job for a little over 5 years now. Enjoy it but.......

Youngest child will graduate high school this June and will be leaving for college. The other 2 already out. Will be just me and Mrs. and I wish someone would give or leave me enough $$ to take that year or so off just so we can travel and dive (at least me that is).

Must be a little "middle-aged" worked in there somewhere too, I feel like 'pimping out' my '91 GMC truck!!

On top of all of that, living here in Illinois in the winter is enough to make most divers so silently nuts too. I spend too much time on this board!!

Glad there are others out there who feel the same......

Jeff

ScubaFreak:
I am SOOOO BOOOOOORED :banghead:

I think i need to break out of this 9-5 job thing. might just sell my house, pay off loans and relax for a while....

Anybody ever done that? is it worth it? I feel like I'm gonna pop!

SF

Last company I worked for used to give us paid "Sabaticals". It was great.

We'd get 6 weeks of paid sabatical every 4 years.
They used to let you take 2 weeks vacation off in conjunction with it and then people would take all their unused comp-time with it and then after that take the rest of their years vacation, which added up to about 12 weeks for some people. Unfortually they wouldn't let me take extra time. They created a rule that wouldn't allow you to take more than 6 weeks becuase of the "abuse" by others. I still got 6.5weeks cause I took it over Memorial Day and 4th of July (which we got two days).

Of course they are loosing money left and right now and have "minimized" the sabatical program to only 3 weeks every 5 years now. But it was great while it lasted!

I now work in the "real world" where they expect you to produce billable hours every day now! imagine that!

I think your descision is already made. They say that we make decisions in a second and then spend the rest of the time trying to justify them.

The only advice I can give you, is to do what makes you happy. In all things, happiness is the key.

I wish you luck, success and happiness, and if you follow your heart, you are sure to find them.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

NauticalbutNice:
I think your descision is already made. They say that we make decisions in a second and then spend the rest of the time trying to justify them.

The only advice I can give you, is to do what makes you happy. In all things, happiness is the key.

I wish you luck, success and happiness, and if you follow your heart, you are sure to find them.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

LOL..... You sound like the old woman in the Matrix....

You've already made the choice, Neo. Now you have to understand it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom