Oh, Canada....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm a SoCal. And as such, I am quite convinced there is no place on earth quite as nice as home. I also believe if you don't live here, you want to, as SoCal is the center of the universe. I travel a lot on business, and these simple truths continue to remain, well, true.

With my SoCal-ness firmly intact, I traveled to Toronto this week. First time there.

I've been to a few other Canadian cities - Vancouver in the west, a few other central Canadian cities (toe in from Montana kinda thing) - but this was my first time in Toronto.

OMG was it beautiful!

I am so smitten. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the weather on Wednesday and Thursday was just unreal. Not a cloud in the sky, warm but not hot, etc.

I got in Wednesday afternoon. I couldn't believe how beautiful and clear (and HUGE) the skyline is as we flew in. I touched down, got a cab to a wonderful hotel (Cosmopolitan - Colborne / Yonge) checked in and took a walk up Yonge. I walked to about Dundas, walked over to University and came back. I called a buddy (another Pat Travers fan) and told him I was calling "from the streets of Toronto" (you'd need the album to get it... we thought it was funny.)

My boss grew up in Yorkville - so when he got in later Wed we went to House of Chan for a wacky meal, then did a tour of downtown at night. For years he's been telling me that Toronto is "New York run by the Swiss...." or "toronto is New York without the hassle..."

Its simply one of the cleanest, friendliest, freshest big cities I've ever been in. And I've been all over the place. Hotties everywhere, spring bulbs all blooming, lots of glorious old homes, amazing buildings, people out walking, a vibrant downtown area, a rich ethnicity to the place, boroughs all over with their own flavah, theaters, clubs, the Hockey HOF a block from my hotel....

I'm telling you. It made me forget that for 4 or 5 months of the year its probably 10 degrees here. Wed and Thursday, it was glorious.

We finished our business early on Thursday (like noon) and my flight wasn't until 6:00 PM - so he took me for a tour. We went to greektown, went up to Bloor, through parks, over bridges, to St Claire (Casa Loma rocks), up Mt Pleasant to some funky place for lunch, and just drove around for a few hours. It was great.

Its not unusual for me to call my wife from a new town and say "we are so moving here..." (she's gotten use to those calls, now :rolleyes: ) While I don't feel that urge to move to Toronto, I know I will be back to spend more time there soon. I can't tell you how much I loved it.

I am so coming back for a long weekend of hanging out and diving soon. I loved it.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I also believe if you don't live here, you want to, as SoCal is the center of the universe.

You probably felt a kinship in Toronto as people in Toronto have the same belief that the world circles around them!

hey ken, I'm from Bay and Dundas St. Glad you enjoyed the city - I'll be back there next week and I can't wait. But I'm getting my last tropical dives in before I head back. Won't have enough time to check out the diving scene while I'm there though.

@Colby: Toronto is the Center of Canada so of course that's how we feel! :D

chip104:

hahaha. Being from Vancouver originally, we had a saying that the trees lean to the East because Toronto sucks! LOL :wink:

It's too bad you can't get some diving in, the weather has been pretty good, with the exception of this week it seems, although you will have been spoiled by the warm waters there!

Uncle Pug:
Can you eat zebra mussels?

Heck ya Pug, just need a lot of beer and a few good friends. Next time your in town Ken, give us a call. We will take you to a few good places to eat and drink.

chip104:

Yup those folks in the 416/905 area codes sure think they're the center of the universe, but all GOOD Canadians know that you can't be the centre of the universe if your hockey team doesn't make the playoffs.:D :D :D

As to great wrecks, just slide east down the 401 to Kingston ( a small but absolutely gorgeous town) and cruise the north shore of the lake and St. Lawrence River....there's a ton of them down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom