Ogeechee River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Let's hear some stories about diving on the ogeechee. I know there has been a ton of killer teeth brought out.

Has anyone thought about doing a charter service there?

I will dive the Ogeechee river with you if you want. I don't have a boat though just my trusty kayak. Anyways. Most rivers near the coast from The St Marys all the way into Carolinas have teeth in them, it's just a matter of getting wet and a matter of diving the near zero visibility. I dove the St Marys River today with Scubasteve from here on the board and had a good time. The first dive with the tide still coming in wasn't bad maybe 8-10 in of visibility. My face was nearly planted on the bottom. The second dive was during slack tide and the bottom just seems to be covered in silt. I was lucky to see my hand in front of my face and at times it was like diving in a glass of Nesle Quik. I found three very small sharks teeth a. I am going to try out a couple more spots on the river though and see how it goes. Anyways. Take care. .

Last edited:
I made a good many dives on the Nashville/Rattlesnake wreck at Fort McCallister. She was a blockade runner who got hemmed in, struck a sandbar and was blown to pieces by a federal iron clad using 16 inch rounds - we found a lot of huge shrapnel. She burned to the water-line and has been breaking up every since.

What's amazing is all the time we were there, we never considered there were shark teeth just right down the river.....the only time I had anything to do with shark teet - we were looking for the body of a diver friend of mine who died looking for teeth. I'm not real interested in that place anymore. Alos the state of georgia has some different laws regarding collecting artifacts.

That's a big river with some pretty swift currents, I kayak a good bit - i'd never consider kayak diving there.

Wow!!!! Man that is interesting about the civil war ship. I appreciate your imput and hope to dive the river in a year or so. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom