Official vintage diving instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to believe but there already is a (PADI?? ) vintage diving specility. I don't know anything more about it than this add. AQUALUNG VINTAGE - Double Hose Dive System

For what it's worth, I have done several presentations at LSD club meeting and have done several "try vintage diving" days, all of which were well attended. My local vintage buddy and myself had about a dozen or so divers in a LDS pool a couple of weeks ago diving our old gear. The interest is there if you get the word out and into an open forum where people can find you. The last event was hosted by a local dive board, NC Divers. We had around 15 divers attend and a bunch more wanted to but could not make the date. The interest is there if you can find a way to get together.

You need to change "LSD" club meeting into "LDS" club meeting otherwise people are going to think we really are on lsd and that's why we're so weird and dive this old stuff.
:rofl3::rofl3:

I know there is an interest, that's what I've been saying. But people don't know where to start. They'd love to but there's so little information about howto go about it that it never happens.
I want to work to change that and open it up to people that have an interest.

Those "try vintage diving" days you had, did you have anybody out of any of those events stick with it?

Nemrod,
PADI? naw, never happen. Like you said, they would F it up so bad they would warp diving history into an unrecognizable abortion.

Back in the day didn't people read a book, buy some gear and if they survived a few dives they were a diver?

Worked for me.

Can I chime in and give my 2 cents as a newbie?

I think the person should really, really want to try it out, and not just on some passing whim or fancy. Advertising a class, while giving easier access to those who want to try, might increase the number of people who end up disgruntled if the class is handled in a haphazard way, thus increasing the noise to signal ratio.

I think mentoring is still the best way for others to learn the necessary skills. There really is enough information out there that really interested people would go out of their way to get more information. You guys have got your vintage events, and from the trip reports, it seems to always generate a lot of interest. I think the best form of advertising are the vintage equipment diver themselves. I know I'm a long way from vintage, and in most likelihood will need to dive eclectic in most places, but the core skills and passion will (hopefully) still be there.

Yes, ZKY, there is an interest, but this is something that I think should be done from a grassroots level to build up a base, and not start from top down.

(besides... the vintage subset will always be small compared to the rest of the population that it is unlikely that manufacturers will re-make old style gear... yet. In the interim, increased demand might lead to higher vintage reg costs... and I still need to eventually get a mistral and a PRAM!)
:D

There's no such-a-thing as "vintage diving" - if you wanna' dive to 150' on air, without a BC, and do a CESA from 60', go ahead.

There's no such-a-thing as "vintage diving" - if you wanna' dive to 150' on air, without a BC, and do a CESA from 60', go ahead.

Is that supposed to be a problem?

So, let see here now, there is no such thing as vintage diving, OK. Run along now child. :rofl3:

N

I have got to ask, what is your point? Do you think diving without a BC is unsafe or that the equipment is not safe to dive to any depth?

If so, you are the one who is wrong. I have dove to 100+ with nothing but a back pack and a double hose reg a good many times. The skill level of the vintage divers I have had the pleasure of diving with are way above those of the average divers, we actually understand proper weighting and buoyancy control. BCs are crutch for most divers. They either do not understand proper weighting or simply are too lazy to do it properly.

I can do a CESA from depth if needs be but why would I need to, do you think the regs are unsafe? My reg is as dependable as any reg on the market today and my buddies actually know how to buddy breath and control their buoyancy. My regs and most all of the vintage divers I know dive regs that are completely restored with new parts and unlike 90% of the rest of the divers today, they are dove by competent service techs as well. Fact is, the internals of the Royal Aquamasters are the SAME as the Titan and most other AL regs that are produced today. The double hose regs were obviously dependable and capable of great depths, Cousteau team dove them with great success to depths most of us will never even consider.

So, again, what is your point? Is the equipment unsafe or the way we dive unsafe or what?

Herman, I think it's the "what" and we all know what "what" is.

I saw you the other day, nice outfit, did you get that stuff from the DIR approved tech diver store?:

stroke_15.jpg

As opposed to this non existent vintage equipment diver:

IMG_0705_edited-1.jpg

It occurs to me that PadI reports of vintage equipment divers are something like UFO sightings, maybe GUE and PadI need to hold hands and pat each other's behinds whilst assuring themselves there really are no bad ol' vintage equipment divers out there scaring the poor little techies out of their dry suit skivvies. Nope, not a one. They don't exist, meanwhile at the secret Vintage Equipment Diver top secret Vintage Area 51---------Elvis dives double hose.

Yet another sighting, call out X Files:

IMG_0846_edited-1.jpg

N

Good to see you're swimming both parallel to the plane and perpendicular.

Two axises at the same time.

Now that's DIN doin it Nemrod.

Your'e a really genuine guy ZKY, might have to move corners, or take it
back in the basement.

Bardzo dobre.

Oh yeah, and even today sharing air with Jacqueline Bisset s gotta be
double hose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom