Official vintage diving instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This idea of a vintage course has been batted around for a while. Someone I think did it, not sure who. However, the actual number of vintage divers is so small that I doubt if you could get enough students to get a class. If you add up the number of individuals who are actual vintage divers or even double hose divers, I think you would be surprised. Just look at the 3 forums on vintage diving. One is in its 11th hour, the other two have many of the same people. Personally, enjoy your hobby and let newbies (as few as they are) find us.

Well you could read Fred Roberts Basic scuba and check out the FAQ's on Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba Supply. You could find a vintage diver in your area and go diving with that person. I'm in Southeast Wisconsin for instance. But, for $300.00 and a 2x3 inch photo, I'll do a couple pool dives with you and give you a laminated card. How's that? Does spending the money and getting a card make it official? Well then...... O K fine! LOL

Jim

PS If your really interested in vintage diving and want some pointers and someone to do real live DH diving with, and your willing to go to SE Wisconsin, I'll dive with you and get you squared away.....FOR FREE!
Um, I am a vintage diver and well on my way.
Thanks though for your generous offer!
I'm talking about brand new people into the scene.

oh great, I now see anothe PADI certification/card on the horizon......

(sorry, the bourbon has liberated my fingers once again)

Last edited:
PADI....I really don't want to give them any more $$ than I already have. :) What about something through NAVED?

My experience so far from the general diving population is...hey what are you diving with? Is that a rebreather? (ugh) and of course the ever popular, why would you want to dive with that? Normally it's just other divers staring.....

Lisa

The abc certification agencies belong to the retail dive stores and exist to help them floor plan tank bangers, justify 2,000 dollar BC bags of air and snorkels that cost 150 dollars. Vintage diving instruction, using 50 year old diving gear they don't sell, don't service and largely don't even know existed--ever--nah. Not likely.

N

PADI....I really don't want to give them any more $$ than I already have. :) What about something through NAVED?

My experience so far from the general diving population is...hey what are you diving with? Is that a rebreather? (ugh) and of course the ever popular, why would you want to dive with that? Normally it's just other divers staring.....

Lisa
The few times I've gone to the Monterey breakwater (a student training ground) that's what I get, a lot of staring. I can tell as I walk by people want to ask about my gear and what I'm into, but they never do.
Perhaps a demo would open the door to new people and the whole "wall" would be taken down and the concept would become a little more aproachable.

I can see how a vintage diver walking by in totally alien looking gear with an alien looking regulator with no BC or any gear for that matter that resembles theirs could be a little intimidating and unaproachable.
Not to mention the huge knife that looks like a machette next to the little things they sell you now.

I mean, H----, the first class would be how to take your equipment apart and highly modify it by installing aftermarket components and various other modifications and then setting the IP about 30 psi over the recommended setting, then installing a steel tank last made 40 years ago with a fake VIP sticker on it into a rag harness made by a buddy vintage diver and then diving without a BC, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and no snorkel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and putting your mask on your forehead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

Oh, and the second class would be on how to VIP your own tanks with fake VIP stickers. I can just see PaDi going for a class like that.

More likely PadI would so corrupt vintage diving that we who actually dive vintage equipment and somehow remember, if only barely what it was like, would never recognize vintage scuba diving the PadI way.

N

Look at my avatar, my gear does not look very different today.

Hard to believe but there already is a (PADI?? ) vintage diving specility. I don't know anything more about it than this add. AQUALUNG VINTAGE - Double Hose Dive System

For what it's worth, I have done several presentations at LSD club meeting and have done several "try vintage diving" days, all of which were well attended. My local vintage buddy and myself had about a dozen or so divers in a LDS pool a couple of weeks ago diving our old gear. The interest is there if you get the word out and into an open forum where people can find you. The last event was hosted by a local dive board, NC Divers. We had around 15 divers attend and a bunch more wanted to but could not make the date. The interest is there if you can find a way to get together.

Back
Top Bottom