Off to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are heading for a dive trip in the Phillppines in July. I would appreciate anything anyone could tell me that might help make the trip less stressful - first time over there. Puerta Galera and Malapascua are our dive destinations. Thanx for anything you can tell me.

I can tell you that when I hear the word Malapascua then it usually follows with the word Evolution!

Find matt_reed or mucksavage on here and they will see you right!

More specific questions will help us all help you, so....what would you like to know? :wink:

Search through the boards here, as there is a lot of recent info and trip reports on Malapascua already. PG - I have no idea...it's been 8 years since I have been there!

Hi Bill,

Well, first piece of advice for those 2 locations would be to try and book flights into Manila and out of Cebu, or vice versa... Then you don't have to double back on yourself and waste time travelling.

Other than that, like Jim said, what do you want to know? What's your room budget(cheap and cheerful or high end)? Dive desires(Photo, nitrox, solo, private guides, price)?

I recommend private transfer from airports to both locations, and in PG I recommend Action Divers Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers and stay at Out of the Blue Out of the Blue Luxury Villas and Resort - Our Amenities or ask the guys at Action for recommendations on cheaper rooms.

Hope that helps.

Matt.

My wife and I are heading for a dive trip in the Phillppines in July. I would appreciate anything anyone could tell me that might help make the trip less stressful - first time over there. Puerta Galera and Malapascua are our dive destinations. Thanx for anything you can tell me.
1. Mentally prepare for the typhoon!!!!!!! You never know!
2. Private transfer from the airport. Public transport is very safe but can be VERY stressful.
3. Read the recent reports on Puerto Galera and Malapascua for recommendation.
4. Arrange your Manila to Cebu flight before you leave your home.
5. Various places to suit your budget.
6. There might be surcharge for using credit card so ask first. CASH is preferred.

You can't go wrong with those two places.
Have a nice trip.

Hey Matt,

Looks like our travel chick has booked us at El Galleon in Peorto Galera and Tepanee in Malapascua. Dive packages are apparently included in the accomodations. I was advised not to take my high-end underwater camera gear due to weight, number, and size limitations on the inter-island flights. So, I bought a SeaLife 1400. I'm not happy about it, but it is certainly compact and lightweight - about 2lbs in my backpack as compared to 60lbs in a couple of dedicated carry-ons. Based on our stay locations, are there particular don't-miss dive spots we should look into? What is the typical water temp in July? Boat-dive tipping? Thanx.

Hi Bill,
Well, first piece of advice for those 2 locations would be to try and book flights into Manila and out of Cebu, or vice versa... Then you don't have to double back on yourself and waste time travelling.

Other than that, like Jim said, what do you want to know? What's your room budget(cheap and cheerful or high end)? Dive desires(Photo, nitrox, solo, private guides, price)?

I recommend private transfer from airports to both locations, and in PG I recommend Action Divers Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers and stay at Out of the Blue Out of the Blue Luxury Villas and Resort - Our Amenities or ask the guys at Action for recommendations on cheaper rooms.

Hope that helps.

Matt.

Not knowing which domestic flights you are on - Philippine Airlines used to have a small membership fee as a (?) sports member (or something like that). I forgot all the details now but it does give you more baggage weight allowance. I used to do that and take all my dive gears and two small cameras and strobes (Canon G11 and Canon housing; Sea and Sea camera with housing with Inon and YS strobes). I don't remember having to pay extra for my luggages the 2x I was in the country. Note that I read somewhere (in someone else's post) that they do weigh the carryon's, which is true. However, it looks like they don't weigh backpacks. Just a thought. Don't know if the other domestic airline, Cebu Pacific, has the same deal.

If you have trouble booking your MNL to Cebu flight from home, there is no problem to do it once you get to Manila (probably will be cheaper to book it in the Philippines).

Limbo is right, Cebu Pacific has a thing where you can pre-pay for extra kilos at time of booking. Cheaper and faster than doing it at terminal. If you have a lot of gear, just book the max extra, or even get your buddies to get extra baggage allowance, no problem to share it. When I travelled, they just lumped all our luggage together on the scale.

Prepaid Excess Baggage

I'm a bit sad to hear you are leaving your high-end rig at home! Paying the extra baggage should be cheaper than a whole extra compact rig!

Last edited:
Hey Matt,

Looks like our travel chick has booked us at El Galleon in Peorto Galera and Tepanee in Malapascua. Dive packages are apparently included in the accomodations. I was advised not to take my high-end underwater camera gear due to weight, number, and size limitations on the inter-island flights. So, I bought a SeaLife 1400. I'm not happy about it, but it is certainly compact and lightweight - about 2lbs in my backpack as compared to 60lbs in a couple of dedicated carry-ons. Based on our stay locations, are there particular don't-miss dive spots we should look into? What is the typical water temp in July? Boat-dive tipping? Thanx.

Sounds like you're all set then. You'll be diving with Asia Divers in PG and TSD in Malapascua...you won't have any complaints I don't think. And I'm sure they'll bring you to all the good dive spots... The camera thing though, you will regret. As mentioned above you can prepay extra to get more allowance. When the thresher or manta are 1m from your face and you cant get a decent shot with the compact, you'll be wishing you'd paid the extra :)

Hi there.

I just read you letter and so I would like a moment of your time to introduce myself and my dive shop South Sea Divers. We are located in Puerto Galera, Sabang beach, which is an easy place to get to from Manila.........bus and boat.....3.5 hours.

So what's the diving like here? It's great diving for photographers..........we have lots of the small critters and the reef is very healthy here the larger animals have been spotted, ( schools of Jacks, white tip reef sharks and rays ) but not on all dives. The reefs around P.G. have been protected from dynamite for many years so the reef are in good shape. There are about 30 different dive sites none further than 30 minutes from the dive shop, so your not on a boat all day getting to and from the dive site........some of the dives are for beginners or are good check out divers while other sites are for the more experienced diver. If drift dives are your thing then we have some good drift too. You mentioned that you use more air than your partner and need a bigger tank........no problem, we have 12 and 15 liter tanks.

Our staff consists of two western instructors.....a Canadian and an American, two local guys that fill tanks and drive our two speed boats and two local dive-masters which are very experienced and know where some of the more unusual marine life live.

If you would like more info from us ( dive@southseadivers.com ) please ask and I'll get right back to you. Our web page is South Sea Divers Puerto Galera Philippines

Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from you soon.........hope you have a great honeymoon.

Sky........ instructor and shop owner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom