Off in search of.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
.....a small plane rumored to be at depth in one of the 'north of the border' ponds.....gotta love the adventure!!!!

The infamous Lake Murray Plane.... I think we actually found it !!
It was in 74 feet of balmy 61 degree, squid ink blackwater too. :D
With Dive Lights just balzin' Maybe... Maybe 1 foot of Vis.
Was it white in color :huh: I think so.... 'Better go ask Hellen Keller.
Was it roundish like a plane cockpit and metal with a window or two... yep it had that stuff going on .
Was it broken off behind the cockpit and open for investigation inside ???
Yes... but that would be nuts going in there blind :11:
We'll do that next time we go :wink:

There is a wicked cliff/overhang where the Dark Lords and Sirens hang that just goes down down down . Big Freaky dark there for sure.
We did run across 3 sunk boats we had not seen before West of the Tower. One was a cabin cruser that made for a tight swim through . It was more like being a tunnel rat actually.

Ya'll be on the look out for my dive flag because some F*5#%& stole it out there today ( now that is cold )

In the immortal words of Frank Barrone...HOLY CRAP! Some Beaches!

Timeliner:
The infamous Lake Murray Plane.... I think we actually found it !!
It was in 74 feet of balmy 61 degree, squid ink blackwater too. :D
With Dive Lights just balzin' Maybe... Maybe 1 foot of Vis.
Was it white in color :huh: I think so.... 'Better go ask Hellen Keller.
Was it roundish like a plane cockpit and metal with a window or two... yep it had that stuff going on .
Was it broken off behind the cockpit and open for investigation inside ???
Yes... but that would be nuts going in there blind :11:
We'll do that next time we go :wink:

There is a wicked cliff/overhang where the Dark Lords and Sirens hang that just goes down down down . Big Freaky dark there for sure.
We did run across 3 sunk boats we had not seen before West of the Tower. One was a cabin cruser that made for a tight swim through . It was more like being a tunnel rat actually.

Ya'll be on the look out for my dive flag because some F*5#%& stole it out there today ( now that is cold )

Yea Frank with our 2.5 hours of bottom time today we got alot covered. Plans are in the works for a recon on the 'plane' and the deep rock stairway to below!! Dark/deep ....1-2" vis and coolish waters make for some excitement,,,but this type diving may not be for everyone....but we seem to cont. to learn for it. Now that the prelim dives are over,,,more serious plans and another trek north!!

On the "Deep Rock Stairway" I think we should drop a line over the edge and secure the line along the way as the wall curves into the overhang/cave and attach a glow stick as needed. The thing is a person could only see a glow stick from one or two feet away but an occational bright spot might be nice. They could really look strange in the murky water.
Sort of like that episode of Sea Hunt where Mike Nelson was recovering those glowing radio active bars from inside a sunkin ship. ( good stuff !!!)
I do have a geiger counter so maybe I should bring it along :14:
~Or~
We could just make up a 100 foot line with glow sticks tied off every 10 feet and toss it into the abis and gather it up and attach it to the wall as we go down
(It sounds like my younger days as a rock climber except in reverse)

Then again... who needs the confusion. Tie off a line and head on down .
Maybe we'll leave a statue down there and turn it into a tourist attraction.

I do think we should bring along some sort of small monument to leave in the plane though for sure!

I believe the thing could have a curse on it though. Strange things have happened since we went down there.

Timeliner:
On the "Deep Rock Stairway" I think we should drop a line over the edge and secure the line along the way as the wall curves into the overhang/cave and attach a glow stick as needed. The thing is a person could only see a glow stick from one or two feet away but an occational bright spot might be nice. They could really look strange in the murky water.
Sort of like that episode of Sea Hunt where Mike Nelson was recovering those glowing radio active bars from inside a sunkin ship. ( good stuff !!!)
I do have a geiger counter so maybe I should bring it along :14:
~Or~
We could just make up a 100 foot line with glow sticks tied off every 10 feet and toss it into the abis and gather it up and attach it to the wall as we go down
(It sounds like my younger days as a rock climber except in reverse)

Then again... who needs the confusion. Tie off a line and head on down .
Maybe we'll leave a statue down there and turn it into a tourist attraction.

I do think we should bring along some sort of small monument to leave in the plane though for sure!

I believe the thing could have a curse on it though. Strange things have happened since we went down there.

YES we need to please the Plane god with a treasure to leave behind,,,,we must have angered him a bit!! The tourist spot concept for the Deep Rock Stairway is a wonderful idea,,,,we will def. come up with a fitting 'welcome' to those few who dare visit this remote spot of Oklahoma on their next vacation!!

Back
Top Bottom