Odd tasting gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xjeslesx

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I have had odd tasting gas in a few tanks. The taste is similar to moth balls and almost sweet. The gas had no affect on me, no headache, or nausea.
Has anyone experienced this odd taste?
I'm sure it is not my tank, as this has happend with two different tanks on two different days.
Thanks

Sometimes if the dessicant (moisture removing stuff) in the air compressor's filter is saturated you can smell it in tank air. Usually you can't taste it through the reg because none of that air gets into your nose. This probably happens more in locations with high humidity where the filters are really burdened to get rid of all the ambient moisture. It's not harmful but it doesn't smell too good. I wouldn't describe it as a mothball or sweet smell. First time I smelled it I thought it was more an oily smell until I smelled the filter itself and realized that it really was the filter.

If the odor isn't in your regulator, the tanks should go back to the place where you had them filled, and the fill station operator should have the gas analyzed and carefully check out the filters and desiccant in the compressor. Clean breathing gas should NEVER have any odor or flavor. What you smell or taste is the tip of the iceberg; there may be other things (CO for example) that are far worse, caused by the same problem that gave the gas its odor.

Unless you have had your own tanks open, the shop should also clean and VIP your tanks for you, at least in my opinion.

We're going through this right now, although in our case, there's some question as to whether the problem is with the gas, the reg, or the site we were diving. But our shop has definitely stepped up to help us find out and make it right if it's a gas problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom