Odd Suunto Issues . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was recently having issues with an old Cobra II, that would predictably boot-up before hitting the water; would register correct pressure and whatnot; but would turn itself off once in the water. Upon turning it on a second time, it would show the start-up screen and then show simply the static message, "Data Transfer," even though it was never placed in that mode. If the computer mode eventually managed to function, it would occasionally give wonky depth figures; and, once, even entered surface mode, while I was still below two meters. I would typically just continue to dive with my redundant analogue gauges.

Otherwise, the computer was just fine; its pressure sensor accurate (I am well aware of that class action suit) and jibes with my analogue gauges. I had Suunto equipment since the early 1990s, with their initial Solution, which still travels as a spare in one of my pockets. I recalled that the wet terminals required a good cleaning with, say, an eraser, to keep marine residue and hard water from interfering with completing a circuit.

Although the Cobra II appeared clean to the naked eye, its tiny terminals were apparently fouled; and a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush was enough to copm solve the problem. I have used it several times since, without that issue.

I honestly had though that the thing had kacked out . . .

I had that one since 2007-08 without any issue whatsoever; no issue with the Solutions in the 1990s; though I had heard horror stories. Must have dodged a bullet . . .

Back
Top Bottom