octopus vs. regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a difference between a regulator that is your main regulator and octopus???
The octopus is just a backup regulator correct and it could be the main regulator if it came with a first stage?

Usually, the octopus [safe second] is not as finely tuned as the primary second stage, so that it is not as susceptable to freeflows, but still provides satisfactory if not "high" performance when you need it.
Some of us use identical second stages on both.
Rick

And would only add: Don't let you're self get sucked into the trap of buying some cr@#py little second stage just to comply the with "the letter of the law" so to speak. If you think about what you're asking the reg to do, you'd realize pretty quickly the disservice you're doing you and your buddy. Your secondary second stage needn't be a high performance reg but it should, without question, be a high quality reg.

Sam

P.S.

from Buff:
<snip>
The octopus is just a backup regulator correct and it could be the main regulator if it came with a first stage?
<snip>

In an OW rig the primary and secondary second stages are typically attached to the same first stage.

The other thing you may not learn in your OW class (my very experienced dive buddies taught me a lot) is to breath on your octopus on your first dive of each day. It's a good practice to do this at depth.

It's your backup so buy quality. There are many divers who disagree with what Sam said about the octos that are on the BC power inflator hoses but I agree with Sam. Too many complaints and what about that short hose in an emergency situation? Too many divers report they can only look left when they breath the Air-II.

One other things... They also taught me to take my weight belt off before exiting the water and handing it to the DM or to place it on the deck. Forces you to remove the belt while you're in the water and you get used to doing it. Statistics show something like 85% of the divers who die diving are found with their weights still on....

DSAO

Originally posted by svs3
And would only add: Don't let you're self get sucked into the trap of buying some cr@#py little second stage just to comply the with "the letter of the law" so to speak. If you think about what you're asking the reg to do, you'd realize pretty quickly the disservice you're doing you and your buddy.

Explains why a lot of Octo's are MORE expensive than their equivalent 2nd stages

if you go with a standard setup, they set you up with a second stage that is somewhat detuned so it does not free flow on the surface. With most rigs, the octo cost less and has a longer hose. But a lot of divers are going to longer hoses on their primary second stage too. do what is comfortable for you.

On my last dive, I had a problem with my octo free flowing underwater.

I probably lost about 300psi of air before I got tired of shaking and slapping the octo, and decided to just stick it in my mouth and complete my dive with it instead of my primary 2nd.

The guy at the dive shop who I showed my reg to, gave the adjustment nut in side the octo about half a turn. When I asked him if that was enough to stop the reg from free flowing, he wasn't sure. But, he did show my how to adjust the sensitivity myself.

So...do you think half a turn was enough? Is there a way I can test it before going out on another dive?

The other thing you may not learn in your OW class (my very experienced dive buddies taught me a lot) is to breath on your octopus on your first dive of each day. It's a good practice to do this at depth.

Here's something else to try.....while you are at depth(the deeper you are the more pronounced this will be), hand your octo to your buddy.....and both inhale/exhale at the same time.. It may be an eye opener.. Some regs can't handle the demand well so breathing becomes very difficult when you are putting that much demand on it..

Mike

Since you say it was a bad free flow and you only lost 300 psi, this may have occured on or near the surface.

Will a half turn be enough? That's hard to say. If it was a surface problem, you can check it out in a swimming pool. Suggest you hold the octo in your hand during entry with the mouthpiece facing DOWNWARD. If it still freeflows, you may want to think about finding a different tech/LDS.

Making an adjustment to a reg and giving it to someone to use without testing it is obsurd! IMO you should have a different tech look at it before you use it. I stress here the word different.

Back
Top Bottom