Octopus second-stage: over shoulder or under arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try the 7ft longhose that wraps around your neck going across your torso and the bungees backup under your chin. It’s a great system for all environments. Try it you might prefer it, it’s also safer.

Typically 90 degree in front or slightly in front and below me, but when dealing with gear or moving things around, I'll need to move my arm like a chicken wing and that's when it slips over my elbow at times

Perhaps I have misunderstood. Are we discussing your primary second stage or your safe second?

I am not an expert on how regulators operate, but if the first stage does not have enough pressure due to the HP hose freely releasing gas and a tank already low on pressure, would it drop the intermediate pressure too low to make the second stage operate correctly? @tbone1004

Correct however the pressure drop associated with a HP leak are going to be fairly negligible to the first stage operating. You're going to have to be very close to the IP of the regulator for it to matter. If it is an unbalanced second stage it will be more noticeable, but if it is a balanced second stage you'll likely be down around 100-150psi in the tank before you notice due to increased work of breathing.

I have a 7ft. hose on my doubles rig. I have no desire to put one on my singles rig. If I'm sharing gas with a diver who begins to panic I want them close to me so I can get control of them and save their life. I don't want them 7 feet away from me before they bolt to the surface.

You really need to get some training on the use of a 7' hose in different OOA situations. The diver is NEVER 7' away. What the long hose gives you is the ability to control the OOA diver, keeping them at arms length, without them pulling the reg out of their mouth. It gives you options of hose routing also.

Not sure where you got the idea that you would just let the OOA dive drift away from you?

My primary. I'm probably just forgetting where the hose is because it's comfortable accidentally moving my arm through the loop

If it's new to you, perhaps you'll get used to it.

I've had same for 20+ years. Perhaps I no longer remember.:p

I have a 360

Could the 360 cause/allow the hose to straighten out too much near the reg and cause the hose to move outward, away from your body?
I know with my 70 deg it forces the hose to go down from my face and against my body.

Could the 360 cause/allow the hose to straighten out too much near the reg and cause the hose to move outward, away from your body?
I know with my 70 deg it forces the hose to go down from my face and against my body.
No, it's pretty good in that it usually stays where I put it until I pull it some other way. I've had a 90 deg that did the same as yours, forcing it straight down, but I found it uncomfortable and unwieldy so I tried the 360 and now I forget that I even have a reg or a hose to be mindful of.

Back
Top Bottom