octopus in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse:
I've seen quite a few octos at Whytecliff on the cut. Mostly bigger ones to the right (north), but a few to the left. I've also seen some in the bay, but not as many. There are octos (and wolf eels) at Ansell Point as well, going to the right (north) from the entry.

If you look for shells and other tell-tale signs and also look in crevices and under ledges, sooner or later you'll find one.

when was the last time you saw the eels at Ansell?? I have heard of the octo there as well but have not been successful in finding the den. Please do tell.
Les

Les:
when was the last time you saw the eels at Ansell?? I have heard of the octo there as well but have not been successful in finding the den. Please do tell.
Les
It's been a while so I checked my log. (Now I remember why I keep a log.)

I saw the eel in June 05. It was in its den under rock on a ledge at around 70 fsw. I think it was on the wall between the second and third sandy areas. The tide was low (1.1 m) so it was pretty deep. Maybe it's not there anymore. I've only been to Ansell a few times since then since most of my buddies dive doubles.

I saw one octo, which was a really big one, outside his den which was under a rock on a ledge at around 47 fsw. As soon as it saw us, it went under the rock but was watching us. One of my buddies found a crab which we held out for it to take, which it did. That was pretty cool. I guess it was on the same wall above where I saw the eel. This was in April 05, but I've seen others since.

Lower down on the same wall, there is a long horizontal crack that I've seen an octo in a few times as well.

thanks, same eels we've seen. last I had heard was the eels were not there for some time now. Just thought they had come back. I have heard of an octo further north of the eels but have not ventured that way yet.

nessum:
Yeah there's definately octos at Whytecliff and Porteau!! Apparently there's a big one under the sailboat at Porteau lately.

But both walls at WHytecliff usually have at least one local octo and occassionally you can find them in the tires in the middle of the bay. Also, keep an eye out at night at Whytecliff for the little Red (as opposed to Giant Pacific) octos out in the open.

octo under sailboat is gone replaced by new tenant ling cod eggmass

There was a little baby octo at Whytecliff last night, out in the bay, but close to the Islet in about 50ft of water. He was so cute.

Les:
thanks, same eels we've seen. last I had heard was the eels were not there for some time now. Just thought they had come back. I have heard of an octo further north of the eels but have not ventured that way yet.
Once you go past that wall, there is a pretty long sandy area which I haven't ventured beyond. Not sure if there's anything past there or not.

creamofwheat:
There was a little baby octo at Whytecliff last night, out in the bay, but close to the Islet in about 50ft of water. He was so cute.
There used to be a small octo on a rocky area right in the bay but I haven't been in there for ages. I also saw a really small (fist sized) octo right out in the open on the way out to the day marker from the cut. You never know when they will turn up!

Porteau

they like to hide at the sail boat its the first yellow bouy if you read the sign it tells you them all.. and since its off season parking there is free.. (in summer its not) they also like to hang around the dock there as well.. i didnt see him when i was there but from my insturctor thats a good place to look whitecliff is manly sea lions..

creamofwheat:

COW: I was out for a little dive on Wed night and we spotted a very small red octo (maybe 2 - 3 inches max) at around 30 fsw out in the open in the bay.

Very cool :)

Yay! I love finding octos.

Speaking of octos, I saw 5 red octos in one dive last night, all out in the open, but I was in Powell River. It was so awesome! Also saw a ratfish, which was equally as exciting.

Back
Top Bottom