Octopus hunters lurk here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was recently informed that commercial octopus hunters use this and other scuba forums to help locate prey. In BC giant pacific octopus gets about $2.50 per lb and is used as halibut bait. One method used by commercial octo divers is to lurk on forums such as this and when we post pretty pictures of the giants we find along with locations they soon turn up missing from our favorite dive site.
I would ask all who read this to refrain from identifying the location of octos they have found because in BC at least it puts their life in jeopardy.
:no

Interesting, I never thought that someone would use a forum as a tool to locate octopus. Thanks for the warning.

Al

I don't disbelieve, but I find it amazing that someone would do so much work for $2.50/lb.

Well, what about if I want to eat a few of them my self. Just kidding I guess it make sense for them to see where the divers has been seeing them. Something to think about before giving to much info on the board

I would think that maybe inexperienced hunters might refer to this board and hope they get lucky, but people who do it for a living, as in catching bait for halibut, probably know more than a few reliable areas to find them without any help.

I would think that maybe inexperienced hunters might refer to this board and hope they get lucky, but people who do it for a living, as in catching bait for halibut, probably know more than a few reliable areas to find them without any help.

Yes but when they clean out a site, one in particular I know of may hold 5 or more big guys 60-70lb each. $875 for a couple hours work. Plenty of divers go there but it take a few months before the octos return after being wiped out. They use the forum to help plan a return visit. I know this with a certainty and it is not inexperienced hunters. I know who they are but they are within the law.

Interesting. fyi...I went to a lecture by Jim Cosgrove, and there was a guy in the audience who asked several questions about the behavior patterns of octopus (feeding, mating / breeding, etc) that seemed to focus on 'how to find them'. I was convinced he was a hunter. After Jim repeatedly stated that Octos could be found anywhere at anytime, this guy kept asking for specific sites where their populations were strong.

Just out of curiosity?

Why only octopus? How about a squid?

A squid can't be used as a bait?

Just out of curiosity?

Why only octopus? How about a squid?

A squid can't be used as a bait?

That's what I was thinking. Why not rats or seagulls or Canada Geese or other vermin? There has to be something that halibut like that is plentiful and a nuisance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom