Octopus hunters lurk here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently informed that commercial octopus hunters use this and other scuba forums to help locate prey. In BC giant pacific octopus gets about $2.50 per lb and is used as halibut bait. One method used by commercial octo divers is to lurk on forums such as this and when we post pretty pictures of the giants we find along with locations they soon turn up missing from our favorite dive site.
I would ask all who read this to refrain from identifying the location of octos they have found because in BC at least it puts their life in jeopardy.
:no

Or folks could post false information and send the hunters to sewage outfalls and the like...

What next shall we sacrifice at the altar of the holy buck? Halibut can be caught by recreational anglers using herring for bait or even without useing bait. Perhaps its commercial fishermen that prefer useing octopus.

Yes but when they clean out a site, one in particular I know of may hold 5 or more big guys 60-70lb each. $875 for a couple hours work. Plenty of divers go there but it take a few months before the octos return after being wiped out. They use the forum to help plan a return visit. I know this with a certainty and it is not inexperienced hunters. I know who they are but they are within the law.

I've never been in the Pac NW but in the tropics, octos hide in holes and are hard to draw out. If you do see them sitting outside, they're about to die having probably just mated as they grow up, mate once and die. If this is the case, it's no loss since they were dying anyway. But please understand, I'm not defending the over hunting of octos, I'm just interested in the behavior and how they would be caught.

Basic common sense is to not take females and take selectively. It should also be common sense to not take octos in places that are popular sport diving locations. Local industry depends on visitors who want to see their first big octo and it is so cool to guide someone on their first such encounter.

I think cleaning out an area and then coming back again is pretty egregious. Don't the hunters have to get a license? Maybe they should have to take a test as well.

Octo hunters should look to the Atlantic cod fishery to see what happens when an area is repeatedly cleaned out.

I've never been in the Pac NW but in the tropics, octos hide in holes and are hard to draw out. If you do see them sitting outside, they're about to die having probably just mated as they grow up, mate once and die. If this is the case, it's no loss since they were dying anyway. But please understand, I'm not defending the over hunting of octos, I'm just interested in the behavior and how they would be caught.

They use a bleach solution squirted into their den to chase them out then take them in the open.

BMW:
I think cleaning out an area and then coming back again is pretty egregious. Don't the hunters have to get a license? Maybe they should have to take a test as well.
A commercial C license is what they require and it covers most ground fish including halibut which is what they use the octos for.
I don't have anything against commercial fishing but they should stay away from our good dives sites. There are plenty of octos out there.

They use a bleach solution squirted into their den to chase them out then take them in the open.

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. Try putting sugar in their fuel tanks while they're down diving. :D

Basic common sense is to not take females and take selectively. It should also be common sense to not take octos in places that are popular sport diving locations.

You are completely right. However, it is sad though because there are many people don't take time to use their common sense.:shakehead:

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. Try putting sugar in their fuel tanks while they're down diving. :D

Damn straight!!! :rofl3:

I was recently informed that commercial octopus hunters use this and other scuba forums to help locate prey. In BC giant pacific octopus gets about $2.50 per lb and is used as halibut bait. One method used by commercial octo divers is to lurk on forums such as this and when we post pretty pictures of the giants we find along with locations they soon turn up missing from our favorite dive site.
I would ask all who read this to refrain from identifying the location of octos they have found because in BC at least it puts their life in jeopardy.
:no
This is another surprising, disappointing and sad thing about our world that I did not know.:11:I live in Indiana, so I don't live anywhere near octos, but it is a rather interesting subject. This is precisely why I try not to eat fish or sea creatures. I like to swim with them, not eat! That is pretty sad that we cannot fully enjoy 'Scuba Board' b/c there are people that go on this site to do dirty-work. Thanks for the 411.
Take Care,
Aubrey

thats why you should only tell the location of the ones in a park... try illegaly fishing in a park and see how big the fines are... cost you way more then 2.50 a pound...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom