Octopus Diving on St Martin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from St Maarten.After some research on SB I booked with Octopus Diving.It was on the other side of the island,my wife dropped me off and she went shopping in Grand Case.It's a small shop on a narrow street.You walk across the street to the boat mooring and wade out to the boat. With 6 divers and 2 crew there was plenty of room.The ride to the first site was about 15 min.'Fish Pot' was 57'max with a temp of 82.Plenty of fish,some schooling up.The edge of the reef dropped off and could have gone deeper.Vis was about 80'.This was the warmest water I ever dove.A 2mil suit is all you need unless you get cold fast.Second dive was at Turtle reef.It's always nice when you actually see turtles,and we did! I believe they're called hawksbill turtles.About 24" across.There was also a big ray partially covered in sand. If you weren't looking you would have passed right by.
Guides Aure and Stuart did a great job.From the gear set-up to the predive briefing,just enough to be helpfull without being in the way.I think with a smaller group they can size up the divers and have a good time.A container of sliced oranges were passed around between dives,nice touch.This shop was exactly as advertised.Small and personable.The dive boat at my resort had 18 people on it as they returned from a morning dive.I like the 6-pack better!See you next year Sally.
*Ronnie,sorry I missed you but we were leaving Fri morning..maybe next year!

Thanks for the info ... it's the little details like these that I find most helpful.

This is not intended to hijack this thread (!) but did you encounter any safety issues on the island, such as theft or uncomfortable situations?

No issues to speak of. My wife went off shopping alone in Grand Case while I dove.While it was in the middle of the day,she never felt uncomfortable wandering around.Most of the negative things I've heard about the island regarded the service,or lack of friendly service.The resort we stayed at has brought help over from Cancun and Playa del Carmen to deal with the direct contact with guests.The friendly helpfull personalities of the staff at the Mexican resorts is one of the reasons I enjoy traveling there.It was my first time visiting the island and was Very skeptical after reading the reviews at Pelican Resorts.I had a blast.The room was fine,the A/C worked,and we had plenty of towels.Maybe I'm just easy,but I ejoyed my stay.We exchanged a week through our time share,and it took 2 years wait.While talking to some owners on the beach,I was offered the chance to purchase a week in the F building,which is right on the beach.The price was too good to pass up,so I'll be back every April 25th.
I try to go into these new destinations with an open mind.If I leave valuables out,expect them to grow legs.I try not to be overly demanding,but I do expect decent service.Try to see it from their perspective and not be an a**hole and it's amazing how far that goes.Go and enjoy the diving....

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. I guess buying in is the best endorsement possible ...

I was very happy with Octopus Diving,but I would like to check out some closer shops. Octopus is on the other side of the island and requires either a cab ride or a car rental.And you really need to experience the bridge being open to believe it!There's a shop at the resort called Dive Adventures,but the boat seemed alittle crowded.I counted 18 on-board. That's around 15 divers.Octopus had 6 divers and 2 crew(DM's).Guess you compromise comfort for the convience.Anybody have experience with them? They're located at Pelican Marina.The boat looked good,just alot of people.

Saba people say St. Martin is a dangerous, crime ridden place. Compared to Saba where they don't lock their doors, that is undoubtedly true. Particularly around Phillipsburg, incidents of violent crime have occurred. Even in Grand Case I was warned to lock my car, petty theft from rental cars is reputedly common. I had no problem in the short time I was on St. Martin. I was a little leery of walking around Phillipsburg at night, not so much in Grand Case.

Dive Adventures out of Pelican Bay is recommended by Sea Saba. Their location is convenient for those staying there or planning on taking the Edge ferry to Saba as they leave from the same pier. They tend to dive the Dutch side, where the wrecks are, but not the French side which has the better reefs, so I have been told.

I had a good time diving with Octopus and am so glad I stayed in Grand Case which is a funky little beach town as opposed to the big resorts on the Dutch side.

Thanks all I just booked a week at Pelican Bay resort. Anyone know how it is to Octopus divers from there. I thought we would rent a car and would like to try diving on both sides of the Island.

Cars can be rented right at the resort.Makes return easier.It cost alittle more,but very convenient.I regret not stopping for the BBQ down the street from Octopus Diving.I had heard about LoLo's and it sounds like it's not to be missed.Next time for sure....Enjoy the Pelican,I snorkeled the cove at the resort and was surprised at the schools of fish I saw.

To get from the Pelican to Octopus in Grand Case, you may have some traffic through Simpson Bay/Cole Bay and Marigot, although the distance is not that far. You can drive either the main road (i.e., via Cole Bay), which is shorter, or around the lagoon (past the Airport/Cupecoy/Sandy Ground), which is longer, but has less traffic. There should be less traffic during the low season, but I would allow 45 minutes to drive. If you're early, you can get a chocolate croissant at the bakery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom