octomom ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Octopus fascinate me. I've been watching this one guarding her eggs for about three months now. I finally got a picture worth sharing ...

IMG_9323.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cool picture, Bob. In all my years of diving, I've never found an octo "nest." I've filmed them catching fish for dinner, getting caught by morays, using discarded snail shells for protection, etc., but never a nest.

awesome ....thanks for sharing.

Cool picture, Bob. In all my years of diving, I've never found an octo "nest." I've filmed them catching fish for dinner, getting caught by morays, using discarded snail shells for protection, etc., but never a nest.
We need to get you off that rock some day. :)

Thought I'd follow this up with a picture of a hatchling. I got up at 1:30 AM this morning to go take this picture ... they only hatch at night.

This is a newly hatched GPO ... not from the same octomom shown above, but one at a different site that was two months or so ahead in her cycle. For reference, this tiny creature ... less than a minute old in this photo ... is roughly the size of a small house fly. I'm using a 60mm macro lens with a 5X diopter. To further complicate things, two of the most used buttons on my housing weren't functioning. The Servo button ... which I use for focusing ... actually fell off ... I have no idea where or why, but I only discovered it once the dive was underway. And for reasons I've yet to comprehend, my Display button wouldn't work, so I couldn't see the results of the picture after I took it. Had no idea whether my camera or strobe settings were giving me what I thought they were until after I got home and looked at what was on the card.

Got lucky ...

Sweet Pea.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom