October Dive Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Law5Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in LA the weekend of October 9-12. While there, I wanted to take Friday the 10th and dive. What is the water temp usually like. The coldest I have been in is 70F in the water with 60F air temp here in Florida. I was OK in the water with a 3mil. I heard that So Cal water is pretty cold. What is the typical wet suit for October. Will it be too cold to be fun? How about the viz? Are Storms common in October?

I have read good things on this board about Spectre and Anacapa. Especially like the idea of the hot tub on board! Anyway... I visited their web site at http://www.calboatdiving.com/ Seems pretty interesting... kelp forests and a sea lion rookery. Hmm... Does the boat anchor near enough to the sea lions?

Also, I have heard that Catalina is a really good dive. But, I don't think that I will be able to make it to a boat on the island. Looks like I would need to take from Long Beach if I did this? I saw that http://www.expressdivers.com/ has a "open boat" scheduled for the 10th of October.

Ok, October 10th is a long way off... but, those were what I could find that had a schedule on their websites.

So... I can only choose one...Catalina or Anacapa. If you have done them both... which one did you enjoy most?

Sorry to be so wordy.... Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,
Bill

I will be in LA the weekend of October 9-12. While there, I wanted to take Friday the 10th and dive. What is the water temp usually like. The coldest I have been in is 70F in the water with 60F air temp here in Florida. I was OK in the water with a 3mil. I heard that So Cal water is pretty cold. What is the typical wet suit for October. Will it be too cold to be fun? How about the viz? Are Storms common in October?

October is the warmest month for So Cal diving. That said, you're gonna get cold in anything less than a 7 mil. MAYBE a 5 mil, but you;d be real cold. Temps will be mid to upper 60s

Typical wetsuit year round is a 7 mil

Spectre is a good boat. October is not the best time for sea lions (that's Jan - March, when the pups com,e out), but there's usally a few around. Only thing the hot tub is good for is pouring warm water in your hood (which ain't bad)

If I were going to Catalina, I'd choose the Sundiver, they have an open boat on October 10. sundiver.net.

One thing, if you haven't dived in cold water before, or kelp, might be a good idea to arrange for a DM to accompany you. It's different out here - thick wetsuits, gloves, hoods, lots o lead... takes some getting used to.

Catalina or Anacapa? I prefer Catalina, better topography and MUCH better kelp, IMO

Also, check out California Diving News on the web,. they have a full schedule of most of the boats, and you can search by date

I often dive my 3mm shortie from May into Nov or early Dec, but I dive warm. Your mileage may vary. Many others require a 7mm suit here year-round, and then there are some diving without a wetsuit at all.

October is often a beautiful time to dive Catalina's waters. I'm partial to my home of course, but I've also enjoyed Anacapa.

If you decide on Catalina and come out to shore dive, keep in mind that October weekends are still very busy here and hotel reservations may be hard to come by.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
I often dive my 3mm shortie from May into Nov or early Dec, but I dive warm. Your mileage may vary. Many others require a 7mm suit here year-round, and then there are some diving without a wetsuit at all.

October is often a beautiful time to dive Catalina's waters. I'm partial to my home of course, but I've also enjoyed Anacapa.

If you decide on Catalina and come out to shore dive, keep in mind that October weekends are still very busy here and hotel reservations may be hard to come by.

Dr. Bill

You dive with a 3mm shorty here.....:wacko: Man, I get cold in my 7mm many times.....I am really impressed...

Oh wait, your signature says "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill", so that must mean that you wear your 3mm UNDER your Dry Suit.....now it all makes sense =-)

Craig

Wow. 70F water. Oh to dream. Perhaps one day I will get to travel and enjoy the luxury.

For comparison sake, Right now in August we had a week ago 70F at surface and 66F at 30 feet. Sunday we had 55F at depth below 21 feet and 57 at surface

Our normal temps go between the high 60s (70 at surface) to low 50s (as in 50).

October and November are some great dive days as the summer alge bloom has died off and our visibility improves, if there is not a storm that is.

Vis is summer 10-15 or less on short dives. Catalina is often 30 or less. Winter we can get 20-30 and more off shore. But normal seems to be 15 feet plus or minus. The islands of course usally have better vis. I have had 100 ft vis out there.

Water temp today is 85F :)

pasley once bubbled...
Wow. 70F water. Oh to dream. Perhaps one day I will get to travel and enjoy the luxury.

Thanks to every one here for the advice.

I went with the Anacapa trip on the Spectre (Fri, Oct 10th). There were a couple reasons that I chose this trip. Won't be getting to LA in time to make it out to Catalina. Flight lands at around 9pm on Thursday. Being able to sleep on the boat the night before is really cool. Saves on having to get a hotel room. Also, lunch is included too. Rental gear (7mil wetsuit ect),delivered to the boat and picked up when we get back. Bringing my own BC, regs, computer, camera, ect.

Kathy was really helpful in explaining the details.

Wont have a chance for diving on Sat or Sun, as I will be at the Womens World Cup at the Home Depot Center.

Next time out to LA area, I will for sure dive Catalina.

Thanks again,
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom