October 2021 Rollcall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont worry about the weather, you'll be wet no matter what! :)

Dont worry about the weather, you'll be wet no matter what! :)
Any idea what the dive conditions are like around this time of the year, or how they have been recently? I've been to Cozumel only once, the first week of January this year. Unfortunately the currents were kind of wicked and then a Norte rolled in, only got 4 dives ! Those 4 dives put me up to a total of 12 at that time lol. I'm betting this time will be a winner !

Any idea what the dive conditions are like around this time of the year, or how they have been recently? I've been to Cozumel only once, the first week of January this year. Unfortunately the currents were kind of wicked and then a Norte rolled in, only got 4 dives ! Those 4 dives put me up to a total of 12 at that time lol. I'm betting this time will be a winner !
Conditions in the water don't change much year round; current varies day to day more than any seasonal dependency and water temperature stays within a few degrees.

At the end of June the water was abnormally warm--84 degrees F at 60 feet or deeper--so it will certainly not be colder than 80 now. 3mm wet suit or less. In my experience (20+ trips), the most reliably bad wind conditions come in January-early April. Of course, there is always the possibility of a random major storm in the fall.

As for the current, forget about it. You can't predict what it will be in any area at any time. I have been up north (Barracuda, San Juan, Eagle Ray Wall) when the current was so strong you had to hold on to your mask, then the next day it was placid. Get someone to tell you what a vertical current (down draft) feels like so you will know what is happening should you find yourself in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom