October 2021 Rollcall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you give me some details re Casa Mexicana? Loud or not from street noise? Rooms comfy?
Thanks
Just returned from a week at Casa. Had a 3rd floor Oceanview room. No street noise and comfortable beds. Wifi was a little problematic, so I asked to switch rooms but the inn was full. They sent a network engineer up, and after that the signal was pretty good.

If I were to stay at Casa Mexicana again it would not be in an Oceanfront room, especially not in rainy October. I liked CM all the way around except we did have a huge amount of motorcycle revving at 3am on Saturday night/ Sunday morning that woke and kept me up.

Also it rained pretty much the whole week so getting to use the balcony with the view was pretty non-existent and therefore I would not pay for the upgraded room. If I stay there again and I very well might if my current favorite place is booked, then I’ll stay in one of the city view rooms.

Harry O. and Marianne------.Oct30- Nov 6----Apt on Melgar------Tres Pelicanos

Who...........................................Dates............................Where..............................Dive Op
Redfoot..................................... 9/26 - 10/3 (tentative)... Blue Angel...................... Blue Angel
DeltaWarDog............................ 9/25 - 10/10...................Residencias Reef.............ScubaTony
mstevens & Tracy .................... 9/26 - 10/9.....................Casa Suzana...................Deep Blue
sefuchs - Steve & Corrine......... 10/1 - 10/24................. El Cid/Blue Angel............ Scubalife Coz.
Brodydog - Brian & Tammy....... 10/3 - 10/10 ................ Villa Las Anclas .............. 3P
rmssetc.-.Mark & Meredith........ 10/14 - 10/29............... Casa Mexicana............... Liquid Blue
Tunaman68 and Daughter ....... 10/15 - 10/23 ............... Blue Angel ..................... Blue Angel
Morecowbells +1 ...................... 10/16 - 10/23 ............... Residencias Reef .......... Bottom Time Divers
kmarks +.Diventures................. 10/23 - 10/30................Fiesta Americana............. Dive House
Gopbroek................................... 10/23 - 11/02............... ?...................................... 3P
jbjclj - Jay & Cheryl ................... 10/23 - 12/4................. Villa Las Anclas .............. 3P
Jas - Jan + Mike ....................... 10/25 - 11/4 ................ Casa Mexicana ............... Salty Endeavors
Harry O. and Marianne ............. 10/30 - 11/6 ................ Apt on Melgar ................. Tres Pelicanos

I hope you folks who have not been to Cozumel lately will not be too disappointed when you find that the fish, nurse shark, eel and turtle populations have been decimated by the local spear fishermen. This report is from a friend who is on his way back right now (he's a serious 30 year diver who dives with a good shop---name withheld,of course):
"Last week I dove Cathedral with the owner of my dive shop (and other divers from my boat). Once we finished the dive a couple people from our boat asked the owner guy “Where are all the big fish?”.He said the entire region - including the park - has been so over fished that it will take 10 years for it to recover. A fair amount of smaller fish are still here but very few lobster and very few of any species that people like to eat. The owner guy also said the fishermen have also started targeting sharks. And he thinks they are taking turtles as well."
My group was in Cozumel in March 2020 when the Covid airline shutdown panicked everyone and they left the island. Within a couple of days, the dive sites were covered by more big animal life than I had seen in Coz in 20 years. We returned in March 2021, looking forward to the abundance of marine life. Nada--just like my friend said. What I did see was boatloads of spear-fishermen leaving the shore downtown at 9pm every night and turning south.

Some bleeding hearts will say that "oh, during Covid they just had to feed themselves." I don't buy that at all. Cozumel just quit enforcing the prohibition on spear fishing in the Park and the rest is history. These fish were taken by commercial spear fishermen and predominantly went to restaurants. I think somewhere else in this site you will see the story of a few of the restaurants advertising "baby shark tacos."

It was the same when we returned in late June. Even the big parrot fish (Midnights and Rainbows) were almost all gone. If you think I am just a spoil-sport, think of that 100+ year old loggerhead turtle that is now gone.

Just returned from a week at Casa. Had a 3rd floor Oceanview room. No street noise and comfortable beds. Wifi was a little problematic, so I asked to switch rooms but the inn was full. They sent a network engineer up, and after that the signal was pretty good.
My wife and I (and most members of our dive friends) stay at the Casa Mex every trip--about 20 times for us. We always stay in the "city view" rooms, floors 2-4 as far to the north as we can. There is a wildly yelping dog right under the south side of the building that will drive you crazy if you stay on that side or in one of the back rooms that look inward to the former breakfast buffet court. As I write this, they have not reopened the breakfast buffet yet (City permits they told us in June), but they have gotten the service from lobby tables down very well in the last 18 months.

The people so nice and helpful we have become friends over the many years we have stayed there. They don't make much money, so we also tip well--for everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom