Octo vs. octo/inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been using the AIR II system since 91 when I was certified. Never had any sort of failure or problem and I'd have no problem at all using it and giving my primary if I needed to. I don't know if one system is really better than the other. It's just what I was trained on and never saw any reason to switch. As far as safety goes, I don't see either system being any safer than the other and I don't know that I buy into the "one less hose so it's more streamlined" theory. I just like one less hose.

The advantages of the octo-inflator combo are getting rid of a hose, and the fact that the backup reg is not going to come loose and drag in sand or catch in coral.

The disadvantages are that they use non-standard fittings, so if you have a BC or reg problem somewhere remote, you will have to rent both or get someone to replace the inflator hose on your BC. In addition, they can be cumbersome to use, and frequently limit your ability to look to the right when breathing off them. They do, as already stated, require that you put a longer hose on your primary reg, because air-sharing on a 24" hose is very uncomfortable, which probably negates any streamlining you got from getting rid of the octo hose.

If you have two second stages, you do have the flexibility to swap them if need be, or easily to borrow/rent a second stage if you have a malfunction. If you use the longer hose/bungied backup system, you're probably at least as streamlined (if not more so) than the octo-inflator diver with one less hose.

Whatever setup you choose, practice with it.

Thanks all for your input. Was actually able to try a friend's. Combined with other's insight I'm opting for old school. Just didn't feel that comfortable. Thanks again.

Ok....think of this....whats your 2nd for? primararally Air emergencys right? Your at 100ft and your buddy gives you the out of air sign or even the low air sign and its time to buddy share. (I have had to do this before). You hold out your octo interlock arms and surface normally. Pretty simple right.
Now your on a rig that has your second on the power inflator, same senerio but now onsted of offering your octo..... you have to offer them your primary (which is generally a superior reg over your backup). The hose being considerabally shorter than an octo hose makes for a awkward and uncomfortable lockup with your buddy. So at this point, hopefully you have put your alternate airsource in your mouth.....no biggy your both breathing all be it in a weird position. Ok....time to surface.......wait a munute....how do I bleed off my air using the power inflater as I surface? Berath....remove....deflate...insert....breath...repeat?
IMHO Its one more hose, Go with the octo. there are great ways to stow them nowadays. (Love my octo pocket on my AL Demention).
If you choose the alt air I would suggest doing several drills to figure out some sort of procedure you can perform to make air emergency situations survivable.

Thats my 2 cents worth.....Good Luck either way

Since you're considering how to deal with the alternate air source issue, I suggest you consider using a 5ft hose for your primary and a 24" hose for your alternate 2nd stage, which is worn on a bungie necklace. There are several recent threads discussing this. I find it more comfortable and streamlined to dive with, the alternate is always right below your mouth should you need it, and sharing air becomes much easier and more comfortable. While this is a modified technical diving arrangement, the techies really got it right this time, and it is a very nice system for OW diving.

There are literally hundreds of threads about the octo/inflator vs separate alternate 2nd stage, so do a search and have some fun reading......some of the debate gets pretty 'spirited'.

On topic, but not fully...

I'm setting up my equipment for self-reliant (weaker buddy, student, etc) and for easy solo diving. I don't wan't to have to change hoses all the time, nor do I want two separate regulator sets (I do have enough parts) for strong buddy, self-reliant, and solo diving. This is what I'm trying and would appreciate constructive thoughts.

Currently I'm using a BP/W and a long (7') hose on my primary. I dive dry. I want the ability to carry a pony (13 cuft) or not as I choose. The pony is ONLY for me, so it doesn't have to hand-offable. My quandary comes with how to set up my alternate 2nd. Air integrated Apeks Octo+ with a standard LP regulator hose and adapters for either the air integrated or standard BC QD or a standard octo. My pony can either be back mounted, valve down, with the 2nd stage over my right shoulder and on a necklace or it can be slung and the 2nd stage stowed like a stage bottle. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Then I have the choice of a standard octo setup or the air integrated.

Several potential set-ups below, all have me donating the primary. Constructive comments (pro or con) appreciated.

1. Air integrated, back mount pony - reg on necklace, long hose primary
2. Air integrated, slung pony/stage rigging, long hose primary
3. Standard right hand octo in triangle, back mount pony - reg on necklace, long hose primary.
4. Octo on necklace, slung pony/stage rigging, long hose primary
5. Octo on necklace, back mount pony with reg in triangle, long hose primary.

Pony is charged in all cases, with a button spg on the 1st.

Lastly I have had configurations 1, 2, and 3 in the water. I prefer the back mount from a clutter standpoint.

Thanks

Air integrated with a slung pony is a problem. the pony and the octo/inflator are competing for the same space. That was the final straw in my decision to switch to a standard octo and a std inflator that sits just above my slung pony. No regrets.

Comfort is not really an issue as you're only supposed to be using it in an emergency.

Comfort is an issue because it's only being used in an emergency. If you already have a problem, you want to add as few additional factors as possible.

I prefer an Octo, to be honest.
I've used the inflator option, and didn't like it.
(AP Valves Auto-Air on a Buddy Commando)
I currently use an Oceanic slimline octo on a GT3/SP5 setup.

IMHO Its one more hose, Go with the octo. there are great ways to stow them nowadays. (Love my octo pocket on my AL Demention).
If you choose the alt air I would suggest doing several drills to figure out some sort of procedure you can perform to make air emergency situations survivable.

Thats my 2 cents worth.....Good Luck either way

I have a early 90s vintage Beuchat BC with an octo pocket, so I am familiar with the concept. The problem with using a pocket is that the octo is not where an out of air diver is looking for the octo, so you run the risk of having your primary ripped out of your mouth by a panicked out-of-air diver.

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I like the one less hose idea, however, most of the integrated models leave you with too short a connection and can be confusing to operate (I've only seen one setup that I thought was really good especially when coupled with a sidebreather like the Oceanic OMEGA II, MARES put it out about 20 years ago and I've not seen it since).

Piranha Dive Manf. used to sell a type of T adapter where one end connects to an LP hose and the other end has a BC fitting and there is another LP connection for the regulator. It is similar to the hose setup for a Sherwood Shadow. The advantage is you still lose a hose but you can use a standard regulator.

---------- Post Merged at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Comfort is an issue because it's only being used in an emergency. If you already have a problem, you want to add as few additional factors as possible.

The issue is what you need to do during the air share. If you usually drift dive and you have a problem then anything that gets you and your buddy safely to the surface will do because the boat will pick you up. But what if you are doing a dive where you may need to swim underwater to an upline or to shore, then would you you rather breathe from a combo unit, a puck octo, or a decent performing regulator?

Back
Top Bottom