Octo vs. octo/inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesanywhere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. Getting an ST1 and trying to decide if I want a regular octo or an octo/inflator. Not a tek diver and I prefer warmer to colder dives. Anyone particularly in favor or against either set up? I understand the differences but anyone notice a difference in comfort, safety etc.?
Thanks in advance.

I like mine separate. Never tried an integrated inflator/octo and don't really have any interest in doing so. Nor do I have any interest in learning how to use one in an "air share and ascend" incident. Nor do I have any interest in dropping my wing of for service along with my reg set. I can't really comment on comfort other than I find the "standard" configuration pretty comfortable.

There's a lot (a LOT) of prior threads discussing this, if your interested in slightly less than current opinions, searching will provide quite a bit of research material.

Keep in mind that you will be the one using it if an emergency occurs so it's up to you ! If you are comfortable with that then go ahead, 1 less hose. That's my opinion anaway ...

I like the thought that if something happens to my BC on a trip, I can just rent a new BC and use it with my regs. Same thing if I have a reg issue.

From what I understand, the same can not be said if you have an octo-inflator.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

I like the one less hose idea, however, most of the integrated models leave you with too short a connection and can be confusing to operate (I've only seen one setup that I thought was really good especially when coupled with a sidebreather like the Oceanic OMEGA II, MARES put it out about 20 years ago and I've not seen it since).
DSCN1000.JPG

Comfort is not really an issue as you're only supposed to be using it in an emergency.
The biggest problem that I see with them is that nobody (including the owner) knows what to do with them.

So it's a minus point in safety in my mind.

I think the idea is actually a good one in theory but many divers aren't adequately prepared to use them in reality. If you get one, the onus is on you to explain to every buddy/group that you'll be donating your primary in an OOA situation, and you need to retrain yourself.

Go for it. I use the Octo-Z made by Zeagle and never had an issue. As far as if something happens to the BCD well I always keep a drysuit hose on my rig and it does just fine in the absence of my setup and I need to use a rental.

Its great to know you have one more source of redundancy and one less hose though I now have re-added that hose for the purpose of classes and I needed a setup a student would be familiar with.

In the end take advice for what it is and know what works for me and works well may be a disaster for someone else!

Other poster's wealth of greater experience acknowledged......and here's my $0.02.

I've tried both, in fact until my new BCD power inflator arrives I'm running both simultaneously. I'm going back to standard Occy because: 1. it was just a bit fiddlier with the 3 buttons rather than two on a standard inflator 2. sharing air is a bit harder. 3. I like soaking my regs on the tank for an hour at the end of a weekend and I can't fit a tank+BCD+regs in the bathtub I have at home. 4. fail mode on the integrated is likely to be freeflow, so disconnecting it means I'm manually inflating my BCD (though it may be postive - at least you can quick disconnect the reg).

If you do get the integrated consider a longer hose on your primary second stage so it reaches easily to the buddy. Maybe look for an adaptor that changes your inflator hoses's oversided integrated air fitting onto a standard one in case you ever need to use someone else's BCD (I have no idea if they're available or suitable but worth a look - swapping AIR2/Inflator is a lot more annoying that fitting a quick-disconnect adaptor would be).

And maybe look at in-line occy alternates, won't offer opinion cause I've never used one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom