Octo vs AirII

What Alternate Air source training did you receive?

• Octo secondary only (irrespective of hose length)

Votes: 65 67.0%
  • AirII only (the concept not the brand name necessarily)

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Both Octo & AirII

Votes: 22 22.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned the octo during OW but we covered the air 2 in the shop.

I dive and teach primary/back up reg on a necklace. I picked up that system when it took up cavern/cave diving. I don't mind Air2s because that system trains divers to donate the primary reg.

I have to admit that I am guilty on converting air2 divers into primary/back up reg divers. It's pretty easy. Just ask them if they want to practice an Out of Air ascent :).

Caver: I know what you mean about having matched sets of gear and I am lucky enough to have plenty of buddies that dive my same rig singles or doubles. In a pinch, I can just grab my spare set and make a buddy. That's one of the perks of teaching diving.

I took the PADI class back in like, 1989, we were taught both octo and buddy breathing, the real buddy breathing with only one second stage between two divers.

I retook the same course in 1998 and they only taught octo. At my inquiry the instructor thought it would be a good idea to demonstrate the original method.

AirII was not around then, I do not believe...

My finace took OW last year and was taught octo only, but shown AirII in class.

My finace took OW last year and was taught octo only, but shown AirII in class.
Sorry to be pedantic seaducer, but finance is spelled, well, finance! :rofl3:
$$$$$$$

Sorry to be pedantic seaducer, but finance is spelled, well, finance! :rofl3:
$$$$$$$

jeez, that is supposed to be "fiance":shocked2: I guess losing my singleness is effecting me more than I realised!

None of the above for me.

Learned to share my buddy's primary (only) 2nd stage.

Yep - we needed a fourth option for old buggers like us.

Only time I ever had an OOA underwater we both just had single first stages; training worked like magic and we buddy breathed all the way to the surface.

I learned BB, Octo, CESA and long hose. My first intro to an AirII was in Florida when I buddied up with a diver at Devils Den who was using one. I said, ***; not due to the AirII, I can deal with that. BUT, he was diving FFM without an Octo........And was supposedly a PSD!

I have taken several OW classes from several agencies. All of my experience has been that all agencies except GUE (and they don't have OW) do not teach equipment specific techniques. They talk about an OCT, or an inflator that has a 2nd stage on it, but make no demand on using a specific one. EXCEPT GUE. Like I say, they don't have OW classes, but they do say AIR II and such are useless and they won't let you use them. I think the other agencies should take their lead.
Think about it.
The standard inflator can be used as a second stage as it is. All one has to do is put it in your mouth and depress both buttons at once. Everyone should have the same kind of equipment. In the case of an emergency, you find a diver at the bottom and you have to figure out which button needs to be pushed to inflate the BC. Precious time is wasted. The use of an OCT hanging as ones side is flawed also. When you need the backup 2nd stage it should be hanging on a neckless under your chin. Ready for use. No need looking for it to put it in your mouth. It can be put in your mouth alot quicker than an oct hanging somewhere on your BC.
Another example of this kind of crap is something I saw a OW instructor have on his BC. It was a leaver on the left side of his BC, at the bottom, when he pulled the handle, his air in his BC inflated or deflated. Just as stupid as the Dacor "Hub System". Another gimmik to sell crap. Just like snorkles, pink fins, and other "girlie man junk"

Don't feed the :troll:

Don't feed the :troll:

Closed minds.....What's wrong with pink fins:confused:

Digging back in the archives I found this photo, needless to say this was a solo dive for me.

DSC004752.JPG

jeez, that is supposed to be "fiance" I guess losing my singleness is effecting me more than I realised!
Just wait until all the "I do's" are said, you'll realize why it came out finance!! :rofl3:

So how did you ever talk the fish into snapping the picture of you? I would have been worried about the fish taking off with my camera :rofl3:

Closed minds.....What's wrong with pink fins:confused:

Digging back in the archives I found this photo, needless to say this was a solo dive for me.

DSC004752.JPG

Back
Top Bottom