Octo plus? Good/bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Sharks

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for the good advice on BC's. Taking your suggestions to think about my diving, I concluded that I was going to stay mostly recreational with the occasional wreck and deep dives. Thus I decided on the Zeagle Ranger. I found it for $359 on the net, did I get a good deal? Anyways, my new question. Should I spring another $100 to $150 for the Zeagle Octo Plus? Is it a good product? Any help from you guys/gals will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully later on I'll have the know-how to answer someone else's questions.

Go Sharks

By taking the Zeagle Octo Plus with you on a dive (integrated BC inflator/backup regulator) you are going to be donating your primary regulator from your mouth in an OOA (out of air) situation... which means you'll want your primary reg on a long hose... which means you'll probably consider carrying a backup regulator on a bungee around your neck instead of the integrated one... which probably means you'll start looking at DIR configurations... which probably means you'll start looking at a backplate and wing and go "Gee, why did I buy a Zeagle BC and not a backplate?" :)

just kidding!

A number of people on this board use integrated BC inflators/backup regulators, just remember that this will mean if you have to give your buddy air, you'll have to donate the regulator from your mouth - be prepared to do that.

There are a number of pros and cons bandied about for these devices, ranging from additional streamlining and one less hose (pro) to integrating failure points, making one failure affect two functions (con). My advice is rent a BC with one on it and try it out underwater (which means putting it in your mouth and breathing it hard!) and seeing if its a piece of equipment you'd want to rely on during an OOA situation.

IMO, (of course :wink:), you would be better served, both in the short term as well as the long term, buying an Apeks TX40 octo for $140 or so. The TX40 is an excellant quality, yet simple, class A reg that you will never out grow. Put a bungie necklace on it and have it dangling right there under your chin. Donate the reg in your mouth.

Good luck.

Mike

Actually I second LY, I have a TX40 and it rocks. It's on a bungee around my neck. Plus if you ever change BCs you don't have to get a new backup regulator because you sold it with the BC!

Hey Go Sharks,

Where in the Bay Area are you exactly? I'm in San Francisco - if you want you're welcome to come around and check out my configuration if you're still deciding on what to get and how to set things up - I've got a Halcyon Pioneer rig with Apeks regs on the long hoses etc. I'm in Tahoe this weekend but am usually around weeknights - send me a message if you're interested.

Ben

I agree with Yoop and Ben on this one, I dive a Zeagle Ranger and I love it by the way, I have used the Octo+ and it is okay, howeve I would recommend that you buy a regular octo like the new Zeagle Envoy or an Apeks 40, I think you would be much happier that way. By the way, what kind of reg did you buy?

I've been using my Octo+ for almost 5 years and I love it. Yes...I tried the necklace around the neck thing and never could get used to it...something about wrapping something around my neck just didn't seem right!

My primary is on a 48" hose which is routed under my right arm with a swivel at the second stage. Long enough to keep a panicy diver off of me yet short enough that I can control the situation. Long enough that sharing air with my buddy doesn't require us to be tangled up with each other.

Handing off my primary is preferrable to me for a couple of reasons. 1) if someone is OOA, I'm handing them a reg that is ready to breath. More than likely they are going to go for my primary anyway and this way I control when it leaves my mouth. 2) The Octo+ is easily within reach. I don't have to yank it out of a holder, unclip it from somewhere, etc.

I'm a rec diver and this is my normal configuration. It works just great for my kind of diving and I think would work well for you too. As you progress and get into more technical diving, you can simply add an octpus. By all means try out the necklace thing if you can but just realize that it's not the only configuration out there.

My 2¢

The recent National Geographic mag had a special on ancient wrecks most if not all of the divers shown had the inflator/second stage configuration. Maybe they got there equipment enmass for the dives shown but it impressed me that this type of diver would use this configuration.

Ed B

The Octo+ is somewhat different from other integrated power inflators/backup air source devices. It separates the air in the wing from the air supplied to the regulator. Generally speaking, you won't be breathing your wing (and whatever critters are growing in there) with the Octo+. The downside to this, if it is one, is that the manual inflation port is NOT the mouthpiece but a small hole on the side of the housing. This works fine but is counterintuitive to some people and takes some getting used to. Practice using this as you may need to disconnect your power inflator hose in the event of a failure.

As with all integrated units, fine tuning bouyancy while using the regulator feature is difficult. You pretty much have to use the pull dump on the wing (really sluggish on Zeagles - their weakest point, IMHO) unless you are in a head down (odd position in an emergency) or remove the Octo+ from your mouth to raise it above your head. This is the facet I'm most uncomfortable with. Generally, I would plan to dump all air in the wing and slowly swim up using the Octo+ in an emergency. Careful attention to weighting when diving wet, is, IMHO much more critical with an integrated inflator/reg than with stand alone units.

On the positive side, the Octo+ is a "real" regulator (go to an Apeks page and check out the Sentinel). I have had no free flow or other problems with mine (I have two) but I always have them serviced annually as they are regulators. Dee's recommendation of a long hose on the primary is a good one, I'm planning to order one and try a 4 or 5 foot hose on the primary. You will donate your primary, practice this with a regular buddy.

I switched from a traditional backup for two reasons: One, it kept coming unclipped and dangling (I hate danglies); two, I like the "one less hose" feeling. I may try a bungeed backup in the future but am pretty happy now. My usual buddy is my daughter, she uses a Seaquest Diva/combined power inflator/backup rig. We've practiced handoffs of the primary and are careful to point out this fact to others we dive with. You might even consider getting a yellow hose and faceplate (if available) for your primary so someone won't try to grab the Octo+ and use it and get into further difficulty. Particularly if you don't dive with a consistent partner.

In my limited experience, 53 dives, I've found, as with most things in life, compromises are necessary. I think the Octo+ is a reasonable one in recreational open water environments. Neither of us do wreck penetration or overhead and tend to stay above 80' (Check out DAN's latest report on DCS and you'll see why).

In sum - try it out if you can and practice using it if you choose it.

All of this being said, if we had a stocking Halcyon dealer in our area, we both might be looking at BP/wings with bungeed backups. Absent that and any local user support/advice for use/setup/adjustment of the BP/wing configuration, we went with more traditional BC's (Zeagel and Diva LX).

Best wishes and my apologies for the long response.

Bill

As one who dives both integrated inflator/second and octopus/long hose, depending on the dive, my opinion [and what I prefer] is that the integrated arrangement is just fine for open water recreational dives. OOA situations under those conditions are simple ascent problems, and close control minimizes the chance of panic.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom