Octo on the left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.Mattito

Registered
Reaction score
Just purchased an Aqualung titan and I noticed that the hose for the second stage could be mounted on either the right or the left. I am planning on using a different second stage with a 7' hose as my primary, so placement of my octo shouldnt be critical for the safety of other divers. Also, I dont use a snorkel attached to my mask while diving.

So here is my question... is it a really bad idea to mount my octo on a short hose on the left side?

If your octo is on a short hose on the left, don't you think it will get in the way of your inflator as well as the long hose?

If you get a drysuit, you'll need to switch the octo to the other side anyway, since you most likely don't have more than two LP ports on the left side of your first stage.

Why do you want to put it on the left?

Dr.Mattito:
So here is my question... is it a really bad idea to mount my octo on a short hose on the left side?

Yes.

Will the 2nd stage be "upside down"? Even if it is not,
why have it run over your left shoulder? Just to be different?

Assuming the first stage had enough ports, if you switch to doubles and run the backup "DIR" you'll find the hose is now (much) too long.

Run it over your right shoulder.

we ran into the same problem,(with octo) My dive buddy has a titan & he uses his octo on the left(under arm) This seemes to be the best way with the short hose that came with his reg.I use my octo on the right,proton ice, (also under arm) bieng newbies are we doing somthing wrong??

Dr.Mattito:
Just purchased an Aqualung titan and I noticed that the hose for the second stage could be mounted on either the right or the left. I am planning on using a different second stage with a 7' hose as my primary, so placement of my octo shouldnt be critical for the safety of other divers. Also, I dont use a snorkel attached to my mask while diving.

I dont like octo,s at all and use the air 2 since it came on the market,its always there,works like a primary choice reg,is always in use (every dive)makes me more streamlined too,an out of air /low on air diver will never look or take the octo while in a stressful situation ,but will rip your primary out of your mouth.The air 2 is always cleaned in conjunction with your bcd while i,ve seen many neglected octos and very few work actually as they should.peace :06:

Thanks for the input. The reason I have been thinking about having the octo on the left is because for a while now I have been using an inflator/alternate air source hybrid.

Guess I can keep it on the right.

Dr.Mattito:
I am planning on using a different second stage with a 7' hose as my primary, so placement of my octo shouldnt be critical for the safety of other divers.

If you are using a 7' hose, you don't have an OCTO! You donate the long hose and use the necklaced secondary around your neck.

Why do you think you need a 7' hose if you don't plan on donating it :confused:

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom