octo holder (obviously not DIR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's right - works best with a 'side-draft' style octo, like the Apeks/Zeagle.

Walter, (or other kind soul) please elucidate on how to use a snorkel keeper as an octo holder. All the rental gear I've used so far had unsatisfactory solutions.

All eyes and ears...

KYDan

KYDan,

You need one of the very flexible snorkel keepers (semi-transparent rubber) to be able to stretch it over the octo mouthpiece.

Loop one end of the snorkel keeper through the D-ring then through the loop on the other end of the keeper. You should now have a free loop on the keeper dangling from the D-ring. Stretch this over the mouthpiece of your octo.

If you squint at my profile picture, you *might* see the result on my wife's octo - if not, I can zoom the area in question for you and attach it.

Some people swear by this method, but to be honest, I just make do because I can't afford (and haven't seen) anything better. The octo does still come adrift during backward roll entries and gives me something else to do while descending :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I do basically the same thing but use a O-ring rather than a loop of bungee cord.

O-rings are available in a variety of sizes and thicknesses in the plumbing dept at most hardware stores for 30 cents or so. You need one sized to fit snugly around the reg at the base of the mouthpiece and 1/8" is thick enough to retain the octo.

You then just attach the O-ring to a bolt snap with a small zip tie. It is easy to clip on an off a D-ring in normal use and is secure for all but the most violent entries. When you or your buddy need it really bad, the O-ring will slip over the mouthpiece and immediately release the second stage.

It is a little easier to make than a holder using a loop of bungee cord for a release and tends to be lower profile.

which is a ripoff frim the zegule one my wife got with her BC.

the idea is simular - a lop of bangee holds the mouth-pease - but the bangee is not directly connected or cliped to the D-ring. insted, it's sawn to a small rectangle of female velcro that is folded around the ends of the bangee. to connect this to the BC you use a small folded peace of thin webbing, folded, with male velcro sawen on the inside, and a small loop of cord sawen on the outside.

side view

%%%
===:::::::%---------
%%%

from above

=====####---------
= #### -
=====####---------

"=" is bangee

":" is female Velcro

"%" is webbing with male velcro

"#" is the outside of the webbing (no velcro)

"-" is a cave line.

the problem with the one-peace idea above is that when it's pulled the wrong way, the mouthpease will not pull out of the bangee. with the velcro, if you pull hard engouth, you will get the velcro to let go, and will be able to use the regulater. i've seen this happen in trainig, and you really don't want a setup where you may not be able to pull the regulater free from the bc.

BONUS: the bangee loop is ideal for keeping your spare O-rings. you slide the bangee throught the O-rings, and they are held very nicely between the bangee and the velctro.

Walter once bubbled...
I use a snorkel keeper.

Hey Walter,

Thanks for the tip on the snorkel keeper. Much better than my previous setup. Several people on the dive charter yesterday commented on it ... They too thought it was a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom