OCTO advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, in almost 2k dives, I've never had to use an octo 'in an emergency'.....But.....every time I've checked it(breathed on it) it's worked perfectly---and --that's every dive I've made with it(ie I check my octos @ least once every dive)......What, you've got stock in Zeagle octopi????......

I have no financial interest in Zeagle or any other scuba manufacturer. In 2,000 dives you should realize that there is a difference between a working reg and one that breaths well. I have a Prosub octo I bought for $30 at Sports Authority in the 90s that works perfectly. However, it is not an easy breather so I don't use it. If you were having an out of air emergency or an equipment malfunction would you rather be passed a regulator that breaths easily or one that doesn't?

I run Atomics on both the primary and octo. It's not the cheapest option but they both breath extremely well and I don't have to worry about different parts or service.

I run Atomics on both the primary and octo. It's not the cheapest option but they both breath extremely well and I don't have to worry about different parts or service.

According to the Atomic forum a Z3 is nothing more than a restyled Z2x. If the OP is happy with the old style, then he may be able to get a close-out deal and get a complete Atomic package for around the same price as he is now.

Im getting an Atomic Z3 as my primary and am trying to decide between Oceanic Alpha 9 Octopus with Max-Flex Hose (94.95) and the ZEAGLE Z OCTOPUS W/36" MIFLEX HOSE (159.95). Question I have is the Zeagle worth the extra money? Is free flow more common in one than the other? I know the breathing should be a lot easier on the Zeagle since it is pneumatically balanced but I figure if me or my buddy are breathing on the OCTO we will be pretty much getting out of the water at that point any air will be gold.
The number of times a diver actually needs to share air in an emergency is actually quite small - as several posts in the this thread have already inferred. (I have never had to share air in a 'real' emergency, although i have done so in a case where a diver's primary second stage malfunctioned and they didn't have the immediate cognitive wherewithal to simply go to their alternate.) And, yes, if you end up sharing air and one of you is breathing from your alternate second stage, the dive is concluding. But, if you need to share air in an actual emergency, you really don't want an OOA - probably stressed, or at least conspicuously agitated - buddy breathing from some needlessly de-tuned, lower performance, stripped down second stage. I certainly don't, I want them to be able to get all the air they want from whatever I give them, rather than hope that 'any air' will be enough.

I dive with identical primary and alternate second stages, and I always dive with second stages that offer both a venturi control and a control knob for breathing adjustibility -
either a pair of Zeagle ZXs or a pair of Apeks XTX50s, or a pair of Apeks ATX200s. I tune my primary and my alternate second stages exactly the same. I have never had a second stage freeflow uncontrollably (although I have had a problem with first stage IP creep that caused a second stage to bubble continuously), diving them in cold water, or diving deep, or diving in strong current.
Only dive warm water and any advice is appreciated.
Frankly, you are getting a needlessly expensive primary to begin with, and could buy two Apeks XTX50s, or two Zeagle Z second stages, or two Zeagle ZX second stages - all of which perform extremely well - for what you would pay for a Z3 and even an Oceanic Alpha 9 (which I wouldn't buy to begin with as it does not offer venturi control or user-adjustable breathing control.) Frankly, for the price you are apparently seeing for a Zeagle Z second stage ($149 is a really nice price, even with a Miflex hose that is a bit short for sharing - even Leisure Pro's price is nowhere near that low), I would buy two of them, and a good first stage, and not waste my money.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I found a hollis 321 octo for 99 that I may go with if they ever get it back in stock lol

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I found a hollis 321 octo for 99 that I may go with if they ever get it back in stock lol

I agree with Colliam that an adjustable octo is the way to go. Here is a HOG for $80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom