OCTO advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going on a trip soon and buying first reg set. Im getting an Atomic Z3 as my primary and am trying to decide between Oceanic Alpha 9 Octopus with Max-Flex Hose (94.95) and the ZEAGLE Z OCTOPUS W/36" MIFLEX HOSE (159.95). Both new and from authorized dealers. Question I have is the Zeagle worth the extra money? Is free flow more common in one than the other? I know the breathing should be a lot easier on the Zeagle since it is pneumatically balanced but I figure if me or my buddy are breathing on the OCTO we will be pretty much getting out of the water at that point any air will be gold.

Only dive warm water and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Usually the alternate second stage is de-tuned a bit to prevent free-flow. This can be done with just about any second, so should not be a significant consideration in selecting an alternate. The main criterion should be reliability. Your buddy may urgently want/need air, so you should be a good buddy and provide a robust source. Most second stages meet that. If you have a regular buddy you might want them to weigh in on the decision. After all, in one sense, it is really “their” second stage (unless you are one who prefers to donate the primary).

one thing to keep in mind, make sure the place you plan to use for service will cover all the brands on your reg set. If one of the stages isn't a brand your shop services it could be a pain.

Somebody was selling a red Atomic SS1 in our classifieds recently. I think it was new. Solves the service ^ issue if it's something you're interested in. It's an octo-inflator so it's your regulator in an emergency.

I prefer adjustable second stages because the cracking effort can be set close to that of the primary and then manually detuned to reduce freeflow. I never needed to use someone's octo in an emergency but while practicing some of the octos I used breathed extremely hard. I could imagine that could become an issue in an emergency. For $60 more I would go with the Zeagle over the Oceanic.

My first choice would be a Z2 octo for ease of service, but at $290 list that is an expensive solution. I would contact the shop your buying the reg from to see if they would cut you a deal on Z2 octo or shop other dealers (ex. Leisurepro) for a package price. Alternatively you could probably pick up a used Atomic second stage on ebay and have it serviced.

I make sure both my primary and secondary 2nd stages breath the same. Because I am diving with long hose so the secondary 2nd stage is the one that I will use after donating my primary to the diver in needed.

I bought a used Alpha 8 for 50 bucks thru(over) SB a few years ago---& it has worked perfectly every time since........In other words, I'd think the 9(new & all) would be just as great........If it was me, I'd go with the Oceanic.....

I bought a used Alpha 8 for 50 bucks thru(over) SB a few years ago---& it has worked perfectly every time since........In other words, I'd think the 9(new & all) would be just as great........If it was me, I'd go with the Oceanic.....

How often was it used in an emergency? How well does it breath? No one is disputing the reliability of the Oceanic just how well it breaths. If the OP just wants a cheap octo then he has plenty of choices off eBay or the classifies.

How often was it used in an emergency? How well does it breath? No one is disputing the reliability of the Oceanic just how well it breaths. If the OP just wants a cheap octo then he has plenty of choices off eBay or the classifies.

Actually, in almost 2k dives, I've never had to use an octo 'in an emergency'.....But.....every time I've checked it(breathed on it) it's worked perfectly---and --that's every dive I've made with it(ie I check my octos @ least once every dive)......What, you've got stock in Zeagle octopi????......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom