Oct 7 - Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the spiegel is 130 to the sand so no, not by that article . I dont have first hand knowledge , just go by what my key largo coworkers are saying and they hang out at Sharkeys Restaurant where all the captains hang out by Ocean Divers so they live right on the mix of things. so Ill make sure to ask them again on monday .

Very sad. However, if true, those are conditions I would not dive in, I don't care how much money I paid to get to the location. I've done many dives off the Shadow when John Riddick owned the Tavenier Dive Center.

To end the speculation here, this accident occured on the Nothern Lights. I know both divers involved very well, and have spoken to the hospitalized diver who is recovering slowly. Both divers were indeed using rebreathers and one unit apparently malfuntioned at depth, as the diver experienced seizures. Both were well into the dive and had a significant deco obligation. At 140ft. the affected diver became completely unresponsive, and his buddy made the decision to get him up as the only way to give him a chance. It is not certain that the equipment was at fault - it has been recovered and will be examined.

I know these divers to be very experienced, and very conscientious. They were in excellent physical condition, and would have called the dive in a minute if they were uncomfortable with equipment or conditions. They are used to diving to greater depths in NE waters so were not under any stress.

By all accounts, the captain/crew did everything they could under the circumstances, and their actions probably saved a life. This was simply a terrible accident, with no decisions to be questioned or blame to be assigned.

Your concerns and sympathy are much appreciated.

Thank you Ageddiver. It was certainly unfortunate.

I was supposed to dive the S.Grove this past Sunday, but conditions deteriorated to the point where we cancelled the dive: viz 30 feet, seas at 4-7 and worsening. Diving the Duane the day before was little better. (Very strong currents above and below, 2-3 ft. seas at surface , viz maybe 40' at best).
I'm an experienced diver, and while I am not rebreather certified, (nor do I wish to be at this time), I would not dive in the conditions mentioned in that article.
My sympathies to the family of the apparently still missing diver, and the critically injured one. Even the best of us are no less at risk for such things.
This does generate lots of questions, however: how experienced was the diver on rebreathers, what were the specific conditions the day of the dive, did the diver(s) attempt to penetrate the Grove (not recommended right now since its righting after Katrina), etc.
Another sad loss.

For the last time - This was not on the Grove. It was on the Nortern Light. These were two very expierenced Rebreather Divers. Dove RB all the time.

It is not certain that the equipment was at fault - it has been recovered and will be examined.

I know these divers to be very experienced, and very conscientious. They were in excellent physical condition, and would have called the dive in a minute if they were uncomfortable with equipment or conditions. They are used to diving to greater depths in NE waters so were not under any stress.

I dove a great deal in the NE (received most of my training there as well.) Where are these guys from? Any chance the tri-state area around NY (NY,NJ,CT).

Most of their diving (as mine) is done off MA, although we all go down to NY and CT occasionally.

I made that NE reference to get across to you that the definition of "comfortable conditions" can vary significantly based on what you're used to. For example, in NE, visibility like you describe as being poor (30ft.) is considered great. Then add in 42 degree water at depth (year-round), the associated bulky dry-suit, and night-like conditions at depth (>200FSW) and you begin to get the idea. When I dive in FL, I'm definitely respectful of the currents (and of course high seas are a problem anywhere), but the warm waters and improved vis really make it a completely different (less stressful) experience.

So please don't try to find something amiss in what these guys were doing, because there isn't anything. It may not be something you would do right now, but it's something that they were properly trained for and experienced doing. These guys are NOT cowboys, take my word for it. The question to ask yourself is if you had a serious problem under water like this person did, would your buddy risk their very life to try and help you? This one did.

ageddiver:
Most of their diving (as mine) is done off MA, although we all go down to NY and CT occasionally.

I made that NE reference to get across to you that the definition of "comfortable conditions" can vary significantly based on what you're used to. For example, in NE, visibility like you describe as being poor (30ft.) is considered great. Then add in 42 degree water at depth (year-round), the associated bulky dry-suit, and night-like conditions at depth (>200FSW) and you begin to get the idea. When I dive in FL, I'm definitely respectful of the currents (and of course high seas are a problem anywhere), but the warm waters and improved vis really make it a completely different (less stressful) experience.

So please don't try to find something amiss in what these guys were doing, because there isn't anything. It may not be something you would do right now, but it's something that they were properly trained for and experienced doing. These guys are NOT cowboys, take my word for it. The question to ask yourself is if you had a serious problem under water like this person did, would your buddy risk their very life to try and help you? This one did.
Well said, sir. Thank you again.

was there any possible way for him to help his buddy and not get bended?
its an interesting question.usually at that depth whith deco obligation surfacing its not a viable option.but what else could he have done? thats a split second decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom