Oct 7 - Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just heard on the news there was a diving accident off Key Largo. Does anyone know what happened?

Rachel

http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s051007b.html

One diver missing, one bent in Spiegel Grove scuba diving accident
Powered by CDNN - CYBER DIVER News Network
by LUTHER MONROE - CDNN Safety News Editor

KEY LARGO, Florida (7 Oct 2005) -- One diver is missing and another was airlifted to hospital after a scuba diving accident on the Spiegel Grove off Key Largo at about 12:20pm Friday.

The injured diver who made it back to the as yet unidentified commercial dive tour boat was in critical condition "with no pulse" and received medical oxygen onboard as the boat crew waited for authorities to respond to their distress call.

A Coast Guard helicopter airlifted the injured diver to Mariner's Hospital where he is being treated for the bends in a hyperbaric chamber.

The Coast Guard, local boats and the Key Largo Volunteer Fire Department's Water Emergency Team are searching for the missing diver.

According to Coast Guard personnel and local dive shop operators, sea conditions were bad at the time of the accident with 20 - 25 knot winds and 8-ft waves.

The Spiegel Grove is a U.S. Navy vessel that was sunk is 2002 as a tourist attraction by local business interests, tourism promoters and government officials who diverted waste water management tax revenues to fund the controversial project.

COPYRIGHT © CDNN - CYBER DIVER NEWS NETWORK

Carlos Carvalho:
[According to Coast Guard personnel and local dive shop operators, sea conditions were bad at the time of the accident with 20 - 25 knot winds and 8-ft waves.

If that story is accurate, those are some pretty hairy conditions to be diving a site that can have strong current even when the seas are flat.

Hoping the other diver will be found and both recover, with thoughts for their families and friends.

Prayers with families and operator. Not a good time to hear this since my fiance who does not dive is sitting here and we are planning an easter trip to key largo for the main purpose of me diving the grove.

I got this report of the accident from another board. It was posted by a well-respected operator in the Keys:

Here's what I understand about the accident.

Two very experienced tech divers and very good friends with the owner and crew of Tavernier Dive Center went out yesterday morning aboard the dive boat Shadow to do the Northern Lights. While at 180 feet a problem occured with a rebreather, which one of the divers was using. That diver mistakenly took a breath of pure O2 at depth, which caused his death. The other diver attempted to get his buddy to the surfaced as quick as possible and suffered DCS. They were only able to get the DCS diver aboard the boat and are still looking for the other diver.

The DCS diver was placed in the chamber here in Tavernier with paralisis, but has since been moved to a room. The hope is that the paralisis is temp.

Please keep the family, dive shop, and crew in your thoughts and prayers while the search continues for the missing diver.

Wow, what a tragedy!! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved and those who know and love them.

fairybasslet:
I got this report of the accident from another board. It was posted by a well-respected operator in the Keys:

That sounds much more accurate with the information I've received so far. Could you send me a link to where you found that report?

Thanks.

-Jeff

Spectre:
That sounds much more accurate with the information I've received so far. Could you send me a link to where you found that report?

Thanks.

-Jeff
You got a PM

Prayers and condolences for this tragedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom