Oct. 21 Bohol pics using a Canon S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
These shots were taken with a Canon S90 in a Canon housing.
I borrowed the dive instructor's camera.
All the photos were shot in RAW.
All were post-processed for WB and converted to JPEG in Canon DPP and any further editing in PS.
No external strobe was used.
It was my first time using the S90 and I wanted to check it out.

NON-STROBE SHOTS - TV MODE

cuttle1.jpg

cuttle2.jpg

INTERNAL STROBE SHOTS - M MODE

shrimp.jpg

scorpion.jpg

goby.jpg

frog.jpg

So for someone who is considering an S95 or a G12: Which required more work to get good shots with your normal G10 or the S90? Which required more processing after the fact?

Very nice. When I need to look for a new camera, I will be talking with you.

So for someone who is considering an S95 or a G12: Which required more work to get good shots with your normal G10 or the S90? Which required more processing after the fact?

My G10 and the S90 required the same amount of post-processing (for me) as I shoot all the pics in RAW.
I first adjust the WB in Canon DPP because I prefer it over the WB adjustment in PS. I then batch convert the RAW files to JPEG in DPP and finish my editing in PS.

The price dif between the G12 and the S95 is about $100.00 or so. If compact is not your priority I would go with the G12. HOWEVER there is no Canon housing for the G12 yet that I know of. DO NOT be misled into believing the G11 housing will work. The G12 has an adjustment ring on the front like the S90/S95 and the G11 housing DOES NOT.

If I wanted a compact camera for both land and underwater use and was not going to get an external strobe I would go with the S90 or S95. As a "pocket size camera" it has all the features you need to take outstanding photos, especially using manual controls and RAW.

I prefer my G10 with the external strobe. I already worry about using the tripod mount on the Canon housing to support the tray/arm/strobe weight. I think I would worry more with the smaller S90/S95 Canon housing. Maybe an unnecessary concern?

I very much like the two Custom settings on my G10 which allow me to easily switch between them for my strobe and non-strobe settings. The S90 has one Custom setting.

The adjustment ring on the front of the S90/S95 is a nice feature. Of course the G12 also has it so Canon must have thought it was a good idea.

I used my G10 on a land tour of Corregidor and didn't mind using the neck strap for it. Actually it was comfortable and kept the camera safe from banging around. I also liked the ability to add a polarizer lens to the camera when needed. The wide angle land lens I bought for my G10 is worthless. If you have to zoom a bit to get rid of vignetting then you lose some of the wide angle. Self defeating.

Bottom line is the G and S cameras both take great pics. If size is the issue and you are a vacation diver that just wants to jump in the water and take some good pics with only a camera the S camera would be my preference. If you don't mind carrying a slightly larger setup with a strobe the G camera is my choice.

Keep in mind the G10, G11 and G12 have more zoom than the S90 and S95. That translates to a longer lens tunnel on the Canon housings. The Canon G housings obstruct the internal strobe on close-up macro shots leaving a dark area on the bottom of the photo so an external strobe is a must IMO. Using the supplied diffuser does not alleviate that issue. Not as much of an issue on the Canon S housings.

Thanks for the info and the pics! I was considering the S90 and LOVED that you posted pics taken without strobes. I'd really rather enjoy the dive than fool with a huge camera set-up. Again, THANKS!!!

Thanks for the info and the pics! I was considering the S90 and LOVED that you posted pics taken without strobes. I'd really rather enjoy the dive than fool with a huge camera set-up. Again, THANKS!!!

Your welcome. Consider the S95 if you will take a lot of video. The S95 has HD video. Other than that they are basically the same camera.

Don't forget to shoot RAW :wink:

It would appear that Canon will not make a separate housing for the G12.

Backscatter.com is advertising the Canon WP-DC34 housing for either the G11 or G12. Amazon.com states the same and so does the Canon website if you click on "compatibility" on this Canon Link

If this is the situation then the housing will not allow for use of the lens ring on the front of the G12. Changes that the front ring is capable of doing will have to be made in the same manner as with the G11.

Perhaps Canon is satisfied with that and sees no need to make another housing just to add the front ring control?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom