Oceanlog Software 2.2.6 version 10.13.09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RAWalker It doesnt happen during download, it happens after download with the computer not even plugged in.. so I dont know what you are talking about driver incompatibility, driver downloads.I sure hope its not using driver cache here a week later after I put the computer in the drawer, 5 reboots later, and the Dive Computer not plugged in. sounds like you dont know as much as you think you do....

It seems to be between the software and its DB, and I have tried dumping and reloading and re-importing from saved logs to no avail... it even happens on dives logged 3 years ago now... its dies on those simply attempting to click on the panel (you dont even get the choice, probably because VEO250 was already selected...

As far as an axe to grind with Oceanic.. yes, I am not happy with them lately after many years of loyalty.. some of their answers and lack of answers together with a seemingly unreasonable service policy have me and other upset.. but Oceanlog has never been a stellar program anyway, and the constant regressions are a sense of frustration.. Some of my buddies just hacked into their db files and wrote their own apps based on the data, but I have always just tried to stay with the mainline app...

The software caches the driver until it has a reason to change it such as it not finding the adapter at the port it was last used on. This is regardless of how many times we reboot without changing ports. Hence the reason to switch ports and force it to call for the driver. Keep plugging into the same port and keep getting errors. But when the correct adapter driver has been installed and we suddenly get an error when trying a download this forced driver reload often clears the problem and after using the other port once you can go back to your preferred port after closing the program and opening it again.

But beyond that I also gave the advice to try and use windows to do a "repair" re-install of the Oceanlog program since a number of us have seen issues after a upgrade which have been resolved with this simple procedure. In Win 7 use the control panels "programs and features" earlier Windows op systems use add or remove programs. Use the "Repair" button in this console.

As for hacking the DB I've opened my logs using Microsoft Access myself but there really is little point. Oceanlog does a better job than most if not all other OEM PDC logging software. It's shortcoming has always been a lack of documentation of the proper use of it's interface leading to user misconceptions, errors and frustration.

I own Oceanic's Atom 1.0, Atom 2.0, VT Pro and VT3 and have logged dives on Oceanlog software using all of them and the Veo 250 using Oceanlog from version 2.1.1 to present 2.2.7 and have had errors to clear and bugs to report but always got the software to work as far as the release would allow. The present version has no bugs that I'm aware of although many still have complaints about the interface it is fully functional.

As a final note this Oceanic forum isn't a regular tech support option. If you are not getting the answers you are looking for here then avail yourself of a standard support option and call Oceanic's tech support phone number.

Your personal issue with Oceanic doesn't help the rest of us that do have a good grasp the hardware/software and are trying to help others.

As for hacking the DB I've opened my logs using Microsoft Access myself but there really is little point. Oceanlog does a better job than most if not all other OEM PDC logging software. It's shortcoming has always been a lack of documentation of the proper use of it's interface leading to user misconceptions, errors and frustration.

Your personal issue with Oceanic doesn't help the rest of us that do have a good grasp the hardware/software and are trying to help others.

I'll try to be brief but there is truth in Dan's words.
I've used & tested nearly every release of s/w (Oceanlog & ACI) for the past 5 years. (50+ releases)
I was very active working directly with Oceanic during the transition from 1.0 to the 2.x release.
I've even taken the time to figure out the Pelagic download protocol and internal memory format of many of the Pelagic models
to the point of having working downloading code that downloads twice as fast as
Oceanlog/ACI by using more efficient commands available in the download protocol.
Over the years I've also worked with several of the 3rd party guys in trying to help them update their code to be able pull in the Oceanlog data.
The Oceanic text file export format is a VERY difficult format to parse
- actually much more difficult to parse than reading the database. (The recent DL7 format is better)
Complicating this, Oceanic has changed their export file format on a whim between releases.

Over the past 5 years I have seen many Oceanlog/ACI s/w issues that I would say were not due to a lack of documentation,
user error, or even end user misunderstanding.
The most frustrating issues are those bugs that are fixed and return again 1 to 2 releases later.
I even pointed out the 2010 year issue to them in February of 2009.
Nothing was done on that until early 2010 when it blew up.
Those are quality control issues.

Also remember not everybody uses the s/w in same way so not everybody
sees the same issues/problems and some issues only occur on certain PDC models or even under certain use cases within those specific models.

So be careful about putting folks down about issues they may be experiencing just because others may not be seeing the problems.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pelagic computers. I dive with one and
recommend them to anybody looking for a good easy to use dive computer.
It is the PC/Windows-only dive log software that needs polishing.

Me personally, I would recommend to anyone having issues with Oceanlog/ACI
or those wanting dive log software on platforms other than Windows,
to look into some of the 3rd party applications as they are more feature rich and are not locked into a single vendors dive computer.
Muti-vendor support is good if you want to have a single dive log s/w application and have multiple brands of dive computers.
This might even be true if you have multiple Pelagic models such as an Oceanic and and Aeris model.
(i.e. you can't use the Oceanic s/w and have both Aeris & Oceanic models in the same dive log since oceanlog is only for oceanic and ACI is only for Aeris computers)

--- bill

Bill,

I want to personally thank you for helping Oceanic work through these issues and just as importantly, helping Alex at Scubase adapt his parsing to the ever changing Pelagic output format.

However, there's also truth to Walker's suggestion to simply connect to a different USB port to resolve the RTE 94, invalid null error. I've seen the problem on a Vista box and that was the solution. Now I typically disconnect when finished and alternate which port I plug into so I don't see the issue.

For me, Scubase is my actual logging program and Oceanlog is merely a tool I use to get the data into Scubase.

Bill,
This thread and it's debate has not been over whether Oceanlog has been a flawless product...We here in the Oceanic forum are well aware it has not been so. It has been a work in progress which started to become satisfactory in recent versions. However beyond the problems generated when the some of the new location fields, the gearbag weight field issues and the printed output in wrong fields issue that have all been resolved the software has nearly always been useable to download from the PDCs it was designed to be compatable with. I did not state that all issue were from misunderstanding of the software. If you read carefully you find I wrote;
"I own Oceanic's Atom 1.0, Atom 2.0, VT Pro and VT3 and have logged dives on Oceanlog software using all of them and the Veo 250 using Oceanlog from version 2.1.1 to present 2.2.7 and have had errors to clear and bugs to report but always got the software to work as far as the release would allow. The present version has no bugs that I'm aware of although many still have complaints about the interface it is fully functional."
Yes, it can be said that it took too long to get to this point but we and it are now here. The issues left to deal with are either the unique hardware/software compatability issues that can never be eliminated from any software, the typical install bugs that happens and can be cleared up with a re-install or repair install or the user error, misunderstanding problems that better documentation would reduce but could never eliminate anyway.

What I take exception to is an individual that admittedly has an axe to grind, Taking pot shots at the company and the product. He is not helping the OP of this thread which the rest of us are trying to do.

Regardless of the function of Oceanlog vs the independant products available to digitally log our dives we are here in the Oceanic forum with a question about Oceanlog.

As I stated, I find Oceanlog at present to be one of the finest of the OEM software packages available in both it's features and function. I do however agree with those that find the interface to be dated and not customizable. My suggestion for a future product would be the ability to set up custom pages with design skins.
I also take exception to those that seem to think that having the software direct download data to DAN is a must have feature. It's been discussed before and it simply offers nothing to us as divers that makes it a requirement.

As for the work of you and other on universal digital logging software I applaud your effort. I however find Oceanlog to be a fine product for my needs and in the case of some of the universal products setup is extensive for the custom offerings and if I'm required to keep the Oceanlog software in addition to a new package on my drive I find that simply a waste of drive space. Just not what I need thanks.

@RAWalker... I am working with Oceanic on the VEO problem, I have sent them SPECIFIC data from the logs that shows the problem and we are working to see what can be figured out... as for the axe to grind, I have challenged anyone to find anything besides the VEO specific problem since I joined here in 2006. The problem I am seeing with Oceanlog still happens, and as stated has nothing to do with the download similar to the original OP. I have merely given up on clicking on 'dive computer' on this particular build / release.. on newly downloaded dives it is set to the wrong computer type, if I change it Oceanlog crashes... if I click on any of my other dives in the past 5 years (where it was correctly set) it instantly kills the program. You feel that this is one of the finest OEM packages available.. fine.. regressions just chap me like Bill mentions... must be my past in my industry but I am going to let this go for now and live with it like it is until the next rev...

Back
Top Bottom