OceanLog not setting Wet Activation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarbaRoja

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is just a friendly problem/solution post.

Summation: Oceanlog 2.2.8 Beta under Windows 7 dangerously sets the 'wet activation' setting to off, no matter what you select.

Atom 2.0
Windows 7
OceanLog 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 Beat

Full Story: I had to replace my Atom 2.0 battery. I can't thank Oceanic for including a spare battery/grease/o-ring with their product. Saved me last minute before a trip to Cozumel. But it gets worse...

Upon replacement the watch had lost all settings including time. To update the time, I quickly downloaded OceanLog 2.2.8 Beta. I was able to read the current settings, change the time, then save the settings to the watch. Sweet. Game on.

I then flew to Mexico and did my first dive. Unfortunately the watch failed to go into 'wet' mode and then proper dive or gauge mode. It just sat on the regular clock window. Grr. I've done over 50 dives with the Atom and could not explain what was happening, especially at 25ft under water. I resurfaced and switched to a regulator with physical gauge. Really grr.

Returning back to our room later that day, I established the watch was not going 'wet'. I surmised the 'wet activation' option may be turned off. Who would ever want to turn off wet activation, I don't know, but this really ticked me off.

To add to matters, I didn't bring the USB interface cable. Reading word-for-word the 100+ page manual, I could not figure out a way to turn wet activation back on without using the interface cable and a computer. I finished the week using a standard regulator/gauge setup.

Returning home this is what I found: My computer did indeed have wet activation set to off (?!!?). No matter what I selected under OceanLog 2.2.8 for the 'Wet Activation' setting, it always set it to off. I assume my computer was borked when I replaced the battery and then tried to update the time on my watch. The interface also corrupted various settings (safety stop time to off, safety stop depth to 10ft). These are very dangerous to be modifying without the user knowing. (GRRR)

I then uninstalled 2.2.8 and installed 2.2.7. The interface looks ever so slightly different (no as polished check boxes). I am able to correctly turn wet activation on. Not sure what they're doing under the hood but it's a big problem.

Lessons:
1) Don't use 2.2.8 beta to update the settings on the Atom 2.0.
2) Bring your USB cable in case you want to download logs or update settings.
3) Don't trust technology with your life. If something isn't working, surface and regroup.

Cheers!

It seems an upgrade to include the upcoming ATOM 3.0 is the culprit - new Oceanlog 2.2.8.beta 01/17/11 has been uploaded to correct the issue. Keep in mind that when wet activation is set OFF, the DC will function properly... if you begin the dive in Dive Mode.

The real lesson should be beware of BETA software.
It is called BETA for a reason! BETA tends to be BUGGY.
It is intended for experienced users that are capable of dealing with the associated problems.
With scuba gear using a BETA requires extra caution and a reliable backup.
My personal opinion is BETA testers should be required to pass a written test, sign a statement of understanding and a waiver of liability before being allowed to test certain products.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the incredibly fast reply! Sorry it took so long for mine. I wanted to verify the new beta software.

I have no idea what version I downloaded today. The software says 2.2.8 beta. I'd recommend using different version numbers if you make different versions.

Your changes do seem to work. The unit is correctly taking a time update and wet activation is sticking. However, now the 'Transmitter 2' and 3 always get set to 'ON'. Please double check. Please let me know if you release another beta version.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom