OceanLog Access Denied Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwatts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have OceanLog v2.2.5 (build 05.08.09). I had 20 dives stored in my VT3 which I was able to successfully read into OceanLog. This past weekend I went diving and today when I tried to read the dive data, I am getting an "Access Denied" error.

OceanLog reads the data from my VT3. I see the previous dives grayed out plus the 9 new dives. I check the new dives and click "Save Dives". It says "Saving dives completed". Then I click the read ICON to close the Download utility.

At this point I either get the "Access Denied" error or just a quick beep (and no message).

HELP! Has anyone encountered this?

I think I've seen this error, assuming its the one that also shuts down the program when closing the download window. I think, and keep in mind that this thought has been blurred but a lot of Salva Vida, this problem was either solved by rebooting my computer, or changing the battery in my VT3 (or both). If the downloaded data looks suspicious, its definitely the VT3 battery. The first clue that the battery strength is getting weak seems to occur when downloading, and even before the battery indicator shows anything other than "good" or a full charge.

Normally I change my batteries before a long trip, regardless of what the battery level indicates. Since my wife tends to like hanging on to her VT3, I didn't change her battery before my last trip. I had trouble downloading her dives and the data was also clearly incorrect (sub freezing water temperatures for example). I changed the battery and had no trouble downloading the dives, and all data was correct.

I'm completely ignorant of the inner workings of Oceanic computers, but I strongly suspect that downloading data requires substantially more power than normal operations. This would explain why a normally functioning dive computer would malfunction so badly when downloading as battery strength decreases below a certain threshold.

Back
Top Bottom