Oceanlog 2.2.4 pretty buggy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheStosh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm really glad that Oceanic continues to release updates to their oceanlog software as I have been using it since 2004 and have been able to download around 350 of my dive profiles. I love having access to all that data.

Their software has always been a bit clumsy and it is built on an Access Database, so it is a little limited.

I like the new look of the dive details page.
I like that they added the city/state/country info to the location page.
I think I like the new GPS field, but I'm not sure how they intend for us to use it in any meaningfully way.

I really welcome some of the new features in the last couple versions, but the bugs are wearing me out.

There are some serious issues around the location fields where data from other dives is propagated onto recently downloaded dives. Changing the info in these fields does not always apply correctly either. Changing the location field also freezes the program at times for several seconds before you can move to other fields.

Since the last upgrade, all my dives are tagged with the resort and dive boat from a dive I did in Belize. It is as if it saw the info on one dive and decided all of my dives should be the same.

Temperatures are incorrectly recorded on the location page. Bottom temperature is propagated out to the fields for surface temp and air temp.

The gear page is a bit restrictive. I cannot just record how much weight I took on the dive without configuring a whole "gear bag" of items.

I dream of the day when all the pages have a display option to be all on one page.
At a screen resolution of 1600x1200, you could probably fit all the pages on to one: Dive, Dive Details, Location, Gear, Buddies. That would be great if it would fit without scrolling. If not, reduce it to a couple pages.

Put all the items from Dive, Location, Buddies all on one page.

Get on Level 3 for the DAN Project Dive Exploration computer list:
DAN Divers Alert Network : Medical Research : Project Dive Exploration : Compatible Dive Computers/Recorders

Anyway, I'm really frustrated having to go through so many dive profiles and fix the location, dive site, resort, and boat.

Anytime I touch an older dive entry, there is a chance it will randomly change the dive site or location field to wherever I dove most recently.

It is driving me nutty.

Most of us Oceanlog users have found that version 2.2.4 eliminated the Access Database errors in the location fields and gearbag.
The gear bag is for the convenience of people that do use base setups. I have bags set for cold, warm and tropical in both salt and freshwater. I set to 1 of my bags for a dive and then can still modify the weight or other fields. For what you seem to want name a blank bag and modify any of the fields for the particular dive.
The temperture errors you are reporting are not an errors at all but limitations of the program. It fills in the minimum temperature and it's up to you to fill the air and surface temperature fields.
As for DAN Oceanlog now has a DL7 standard export which you could email to DAN.
A couple of things to note for your install. There is a version 2.2.5 and a number of us have had to do a "repair" reinstall to overwrite bad data from previous versions even after removing old versions before installing new ones.
This may necessitate going through your log and fixing everything after the repair to give you a baseline to move forward from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom