Oceanlog 2.2.2 still not ready for primetime!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAWalker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I really like my Atom 2.0 and VT3 the computers themselves are quite good but the Oceanlog software is really spoiling the experience. It is imperative that Oceanic put resources into developing and stabilizing the software ASAP. We need to know that the data we add will be in our logs the next time we return to view the dive or open the program. We need to have the data we see within the software print out accurately and completely.

I feel that we (users of Oceanic computers) have been patiently awaiting the problems to be taken care of but it is becoming increasingly annoying to have releases that do not function as well as prior releases. I'm sure other will agree that no new release is better than one that is rushed out and functions poorly causing users to uninstall the new version, reinstall the earlier better functioning version and a backup log.

Doug, Please realize the important part the software plays in the usfulness of these instruments. It is why many of us paid for a download adapter that costs a few dollars to manufacture yet sells for many time that. It's the software that can make it all worth the cost and so far Oceanic has not delivered a completely functional package.

I fully agree with you. Almost evry version I have installed has caused me some kind of problem. It's abot time Oceanic released a version without bugs. I like me VT3 but the software takes the edge off it.

I really must ask this question, and I ask it without rancnor, anxiety, dissatisfaction or any other negative intent:

Do you really "TEST" the software before it's released?

Do you actually have someone sit down, load some dive data in the software program from a PDC which contains actualt dives and then go through it before it's released?

I really, really can't believe this is done because of the obvious outcome of the released software.

Ever thought about sending the new release out to a couple of the complaintents and let them try it before it's released? At leat they're intimately famaliar with the bugs.

the K

Last edited:
This seems to be a problem across the board, I see many issues with dive log software and interfaces, and I agree that spending around 100 dollars for a few bucks worth of parts to download the info and then being unable to access it or not having it properly or fully record/display the dive info is enough to get ones panties in a bit of a bunch.

I have a Tusa, and love my Sapience but am amazed at all that the pc logbook software does not do, and even more at the things it does wrong. We hear about fixes or new releases, but often these just seem to fix previous issues(hopefully) at the cost of introducing new bugs.

Worst of all, the manufacturers will not release the details of the download interface so as to allow interested users to develop their own software for either sale or open source code. As I am migrating to Linux I will need to develop my own or run current in Windows VM.

I agree that the interface seems untested with real world data and situations in every computer I have had opportunity to download.

Doug sent me 2.2.3 to test it is much better but still not ready I have spoken with him and sent him a bug report. They are hard at work on the issues. The beta 2.2.3 still had the issue with the gear section not retaining the weight data. If they can get that working from what I experienced it will be a highly functional release.
You will still need to go through your dives and set up your cylinders for each dive but the SAC rate data seems to be retained from the old log.
Updates and changes I made to my dive, Location, gear and buddy data seemed to be retained when moving to other records or closing the program.
The changes made to Oceanlog versions later than 2.2.0 will require some editing of your past dive logs to bring them into line with the fields that were added to the software.
this includes the cylinder field, dive site, location, city, state and country. Althought this may be a PITA and time consuming to users with large logs the additions and changes will make for a more precise log. Aside from some of the third party packages that require much more work and customization, Oceanlog may end up being a very complete and functional product.

This is disturbing to hear. I too am annoyed with OceanLog. In fact, on the 2.1.8 page I have a list of 20 or so problems with 2.2.0. It sounds like a few of the new features in 2.2.2 are attempts to fix these, or maybe not.

But I'm really peeved to hear that, apparently, 2nd rate software is the norm. By default, my next computer will be a VT3, but if there was a company out there that supplied a first rate downloader and divelog program I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

This seems to be a problem across the board, I see many issues with dive log software and interfaces, and I agree that spending around 100 dollars for a few bucks worth of parts to download the info and then being unable to access it or not having it properly or fully record/display the dive info is enough to get ones panties in a bit of a bunch.

I have a Tusa, and love my Sapience but am amazed at all that the pc logbook software does not do, and even more at the things it does wrong. We hear about fixes or new releases, but often these just seem to fix previous issues(hopefully) at the cost of introducing new bugs.

Worst of all, the manufacturers will not release the details of the download interface so as to allow interested users to develop their own software for either sale or open source code. As I am migrating to Linux I will need to develop my own or run current in Windows VM.

I agree that the interface seems untested with real world data and situations in every computer I have had opportunity to download.

Iffen the tractor ain't gonna run, don't put it in the pasture.

the K

Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom