Oceanic VT3 Dive Computer Operating Software Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Watkins

Contributor
Reaction score
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT CORRECT FIRMWARE REVISION CODE AND AFFECTED SERIAL NUMBERS

VT3 DIVE COMPUTER
OPERATING SOFTWARE UPGRADE

Oceanic Customer Service has received several VT3 Dive Computers that were returned by product owners who experienced similar problems with the Buddy Pressure Check feature.

Upon activating the Buddy Pressure Check routine after having previously checked their buddy’s pressure, the previous pressure value was still displayed instead of the message NOT AVAIL which is what should appear on the screen when the buddy is out of signal range when a check is performed.

After extensive analysis and testing, Oceanic programmers and engineers have determined that the portion of operating software used for the Buddy Pressure Check routine contains code associated with the Loss of Link routine that retains the last Pressure reading for a given period when the signal Link is removed.

Oceanic is offering a free operating software Upgrade to all VT3 product owners to eliminate any inconvenience during activities involving Buddy Pressure Checks. The VT3 unit’s software will be upgraded to revision r1F.

Owners of any VT3 unit with software revision 1A- 1E may download the Update Application and instructions from the Oceanic web site at: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/VT3_ELITET3_Update_Setup_062507.zip

The USB PC Interface Cable is required to perform the upgrade. If you do not own the Interface Cable, or are not comfortable with performing the procedure yourself, the upgrade may be performed at the Authorized Oceanic retail facility where you purchased your VT3.

No other features and functions of the VT3 are affected, only the Buddy Pressure Check routine.

No other models of Oceanic Dive Computers featuring Buddy Pressure Check are affected.

Note that any VT3 units with serial number 3826 and above will have been programmed with the upgraded operating software (r1F).

Identifying Serial Number & Software Revision
To access/view the SN screen while viewing the NORM (or GAUG) SURF Main screen –

Simultaneously depress the A (right/front) and S (right/side) buttons 5 times (2 seconds each time). If Revision r1F is displayed, the unit’s software program has been upgraded and no further action is required.

Anyone had any luck when performing the above operation ?

My VT3 wouldn't go into the BSL mode to enable the firmware update, used the reset , then took out the battery, then again the reset but will only go into the normal mode and not the BSL???

Not too comfortable sending the unit back to Scubatoys (awesome spot) to get the update performed as am in NZ and can't go without the unit for that time duration..

Had no trouble getting it into BSL mode after watching the little video that is in the upgrade app. First time around I started pressing the right button too quickly. When activating the unit, wait for it to begin the coutdown mode and after pressing the right button three times mine went straight to BSL. HOWEVER, upon completing the upgrade, the fool thing wouldn't leave BSL mode. Following the directions, I removed the battery for over 30 seconds and the DC finally reset correctly. I have not tested whether the upgrade really did anything.

Good luck.

I did this upgrade a few weeks ago (i was one who reported the problem and waiting for a fix). i have two VT3s and had problems with upgrading both of them. i suggest keeping the battery cover off until the upgrade is complete.

the problem i had was the computer couldn't communicate with the software and get stuck in BSL mode. i was able to get around this problem by using a different PC (darn usb drivers).

there's a reset function and also battery removal to get you out of trouble if there's a problem. i would keep trying it before sending it back to the dealer (mine couldn't help me anyway).

i haven't gotten many dives in, but so far, it works better than before.

Thanks for the suggestions, might leave it till after the weekends diving then re-attempt my luck..

My first time through, I turned on my VT3, hit the A button 3 times, but like Shontz said, I think I did it too quick. It just went into PC countdown mode. I waited for the countdown to end, but it did not go into BSL.

Contrary to the instructions, I did not have to remove the battery to reset it. Simply unplug it from the USB Cable, and plug it back in, the PC mode should start again, then hit the "reset" button on the software. This will turn your VT3 off.

Now just turn your VT3 on, and wait a second until it has started the normal boot up count down. Then hit the A button 3 times before the bootup is over. It will go into BSL.

I updated fine, but as Shontz also pointed out, it would not exit BSL mode after the update. So I took the battery out, and then put it back in.

I checked the serial number screen and it showed r1F.

By the way, that "reset" button on the software is a nice way to turn your VT3 off insteading of waiting 2 hours for it to go off.

I plugged it back in and hit the reset button and put it away. Using it to turn off the computer worked like a charm.

My 2nd attempt got a little farther - managed to get into the BSL mode - think I was pushing the advance button too fast last time - however then got stuck in BSL mode with not able to communicate with USB drivers the same as spidersense ##@!!

Try unplugging everything and then do things in this order:

1. Plug cable into PC's USB port by itself (not connected to VT3 yet)
2. Start software
3. Plug VT3 in.
4. During boot up hit A 3 times
5. Update.

I have found if you plug the VT3 in first before plugging in the USB to the PC, things may not work. Or if you start the software with the VT3 plugged in already it may not work. But you need to have the USB cable by itself (no VT3) plugged into the PC to start the software.

went thought the upgrade, it says completed, yet it still showing
r1C as the firmware rev number

Do I need to remove the battery and reset this thing. Or just go get a new one that's updated :) Just bought this T3 last week--
The Vt3 that I bought also was up2date already.

// Edit

Well I removed the battery , rebooted the the unit and it still shows the old rev.

FYI,,

Oceanic/Aeris is offering a free operating software Upgrade to all VT3 & Elite T3 product owners to eliminate any inconvenience during activities involving Buddy Pressure Checks. The VT3 & Elite T3 unit's software will be upgraded to revision r1F.

I just called Aeris..
The T3 will not be upgrade to F, it will only be upgraded to C.
Hence the confusion of my posting on Rev numbers..

Whoever posted the original in both the Aeris and Oceanic forums needs to update their info on the T3 rev numbers

thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom