Oceanic VT Pro require repair, or okay to use as is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

I normally dive an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt and an Oceanic Worldwide VT3 wrist computer, each having its own strengths, and when solo diving, having a backup computer is recommended.

My wife has an old Oceanic Worldwide VT Pro, the predecessor of the VT3, a wrist unit that can link up with a wireless transmitter. Her computer might've seen 20 something dives, perhaps? Has been owned several years. Our computers are kept indoors when not in use & taken reasonably good care of. They are rinsed after diving.

Recently, my Cobalt had a button not working right, & was sent in for repair under warranty. For a backup computer solo-diving, I took my wife's VT Pro. I noticed the rubber case around the sides of the computer was cracking. Well, it did fine through the dive & evidently remained water proof, but after the dive, that rubber casing around the sides split & came clean off!

Here's how it looks now:

IMG_2698_zps45205715.jpg
IMG_2697_zps3dc0b8a5.jpg

I contacted Oceanic to see what getting it fixed would cost. $160 flat fee, + $10 shipping/handling, plus what I spend shipping it to them.

On a computer that's old, a couple of generations out of date (but works with a wireless transmitter, which you can't say about a Geo 2.0), and seems to work when dove 'as is.' The strap seems to still be quite secure.

I could bite the bullet, pay shipping (I'm guessing in the ball park of $20, packaged & all), then $170, but for a rubber trim that may not even make a difference?

To get a new wireless AI computer (or even a used one) would cost more money than fixing this one. But fixing the rubber trim on the VT Pro would cost roughly what the thing might be worth to buy outright if you could find one (I'm guessing).

It's cheaper to fix than replace, but the fix cost is ridiculous & the fix may not even be needed.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you would do in my situation.

Richard.

I am not going to comment on whether it is ok to use although my gut feeling is that what came off was cosmetic. I will tell you that with the oceanic service you mention you essentially get a new/rebuilt computer with a one year guarantee. I had an issue with my VT3 and used their service and have had another three years hassle free diving.

If it was guaranteed I'd end up with an "essentially new computer" I'd get it fixed only if the difference in price on buying a new computer was big otherwise I'd bin it and just buy a new one. If there was no guarantee of an "essentially new computer" I'd definitely bin it.

I agree. In my case it was $160 for a rebuilt/new VT3 vs springing for a new VT3 or VT4. So far it has worked out and into its third year without an issue. The way I understand it the rebuilt/new replacement is as good as new and with a warrantee to back it. I guess liability issues drives that as well.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

On these computers, the actual computer and surrounding case/band (boot) are separate parts. It's hard for me to tell if the part that broke came from the boot or the computer itself, but it looks like the boot. If so, you could just buy a DSS bungee boot for $20 and pop the computer into it.

Agree it looks like the boot. Especially as it had splits throughout the trip and yet remained without water damage.

Thanks for the input, guys. Glad to have it.

Richard.

I'm leaning toward wearing as is for now. The funny thing is, the wrist strap is quite securely attached. I'm thinking the 'stuff' that came off around the sides was mainly cosmetic.

Richard.

On these computers, the actual computer and surrounding case/band (boot) are separate parts. It's hard for me to tell if the part that broke came from the boot or the computer itself, but it looks like the boot. If so, you could just buy a DSS bungee boot for $20 and pop the computer into it.

I'm leaning toward wearing as is for now. The funny thing is, the wrist strap is quite securely attached. I'm thinking the 'stuff' that came off around the sides was mainly cosmetic.

Richard.

It is cosmetic. I have 3 of these. I always take them out of their plastic boot and pop them into the DSS bungee.

And, the bungee strap is so much nicer. Especially if you ever use it with a drysuit, but even with a wetsuit.
I agree, this looks like a boot. I popped my very old console Oceanic out of it's boot and put it in my drysuit pocket as a backup computer. It looks very similar to your "after " picture. I would get the DSS bungee for $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom