Oceanic VT Pro not PC Downloadable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sitch:

* Wifie had Datatrans Plus - loved it, but what a brick. Had it on a retractor, blah blah blah....

* eBayed the DP+ recently before it lost all value

* Gonna get her off the lame retractor deal and onto a wrist-mount. Looking to replace the brick with the Oceanic VT Pro (she likes the Oceanic product) and I can't find anywhere on their site, on this site or in the manual that says this thing is PC downloadable?

Can this be true...am I just missing it? So they replace their primary hoseless Nitrox computer and the 2003 model isn't PC downloadable, but brickzilla was?

Say it isn't so.

K

I bought the VT Pro a couple of months ago and love it! Unfortunately the pc download will not be available until sometime this fall.

...If there was actually some decent engineering on the interface/download piece of these things? I would just about kill for a USB interface on a dive computer. With my computer, the wifes, and my HyperAqualand, I need 3 serial ports... My new motherboard has 1. So.... In addition to the wildly expensive serial->dive computer cables, I'm having to either buy a serial port switch box or buy a couple of these USB to serial port converters at $~20 a pop...

I can understand though, USB has only been around since 1995 or so, that's only *8* (!!) years to figure it out...

Apologies for going off subject...

* It arrived today. Nice unit. I'm currently Bungee rigging it for her. Tonight's project while I watch WestWing.

* Yes, it's PC downloadable. Why its not clearly stated in their ads and stuff... whatever. Maybe I'm just blind or stoopid.

* Their site, their dealer's sites, LP (and everyone else I went to) did NOT show a PC download for the VT PRO. Again, Oceanic, please get a grip. Unreal.

* I called their main number, and hit the prompt for customer service - it rang a ZILLION times. Pi$$ed off, I hit "zero" and it rang about 10 times before an operator answered. She put me into customer service. I got a recording featuring some chipper gent who's outgoing VM promised a call back within 30 minutes. I left my number.

* About 30 or 40 miutes later, some other gent called. I ran the scenario by him. He stated yes, its downloadable. I asked why there wasn't a specific VT Pro download kit... he didn't know. I asked where I could find a dealer in my area that STOCKED the interface cables...he didn't know. The "head of sales knows this info...but he's on vacation until next week..." He added, I'd "have to let my fingers do the walking..." Nice.

* I asked if their interface cable was USB. He said no.

So I am somewhat closer in my quest. I know:

A) It IS PC downloadable

B) There IS an interface cable (SW is on their site) that is available today

C) It is flintstones serial (maybe fruity pebbles...?)

Of course, I don't know the model number or cross reference style (does the model XYZ interface that I see all over the place also work with the VT Pro)....but only because I was too stoopid to ask.

Not a good day for Oceanic and I. Maybe I get her a Vytec. I'm not feeling too good about this right now.

Ken

Hi - me again.

In case anyone else wanted to know - the VT Pro takes the same interface cable as the Versa Pro and the Pro Plus 2.

Most places (Oceanic too, for the most part) have NOT updated their model and BOM listings - so if they sell the interface cable for the Versa Pro or the Pro Plus 2 - it'll work for the VT Pro.

OK - I'll stop replying to myself now.

K

I contacted Aeris about the PC interface cable for the Aeris Elite computer and was told that it would be USB and available 9/15.

I have the VT Pro and have obtained the cable for it (yes it is a 9 pin serial cable) and it worked fine. You have to download the specific program from the Oceanic site, but it went well.

I am unable to compare this software as this is the first downloadable dive computer I have owned.

dnhill

I finally got the new USB cable + software yesterday from Oceanic. Haven't played with it yet, but I took it apart to see what's in the cable. Pretty complicated PCB with several chips in varying packages (PLCC, etc.). Retail is $99, which is cheaper than the old serial cable cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom