Oceanic vs. Uwatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The price point is relevant only to an extent. I am either getting a brand new Oceanic VT4.1 for $695 with transmitter or brand new Uwatec Luna for $860 also with a transmitter. For the money, I am trying to figure out which is best.

I changed Sol to Luna as I didn't initially realize there was very little difference between the two.

Are you sure that the price for the VT 4.1 is $695 with transmitter??? That's one heck of a deal. The shop and club where I dive is an Oceanic Dealer and like you I was considering the VT 4.1 at first and I looked at it quite a bit but then ended up getting the Galileo because of the display and buddy air and at that time the compass. The VT 4.1s have came down in price quite a bit and I know they were running a special where you got a "free transmitter" but you know how that works. We have one on the shelf right now going for $1000....after your post I was looking at it today. Both are really good computers. If you do decide to go the Galileo route I think you will be very happy with the Luna and you can upgrade it into a Sol if you want to. And as far as the tech stuff goes, I have buddies that sidemount and do tech diving with their 4.1s...i think it supports up to 4 bottles...but you will need additional transmitters for either one. The Galileo only does 3 and a buddy air on its factory algorithm unless you do the Trimix upgrade then it goes to 10. I don't know of any upgrades for the 4.1.

Wanted to stop by and tell you guys about my purchase.

I ended up with Galileo Luna with the transmitter, the selling point was the great deal I found on it ($600) back in November. I am one very happy diver. Love the one screen/one glance display, all the info I need is right there. Alerts are handy too, I turned the sounds off on most of them, but the visual alert is still helpful. The transmitter has been performing flawlessly (knock on wood). It's been about 6 months since I've been using it and have been diving at least every other week. I was initially also concerned with the size of it, but after first couple of dives I didn't even notice the size anymore. Been comparing usefulness and functions with a buddy who uses Oceanic and in my opinion - it wins every time. Overall - I would definitely recommend it over Oceanic and I am very happy I got it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom