Oceanic VR 4.1??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hofmann6

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have feedback on the Oceanic VT 4.1 wrist mount computer? I'm looking to purchase an additional computer and relegate my Suunto Zoop to backup/second computer status. Would like air integration, nitrox capability to 40%, compass, very important to have an easy to read display (53 year old eyes) and backlighting for night diving would be nice. Will plan on using a DSS bungee mount so not worried about the strap at all, and also would not use my dive computer as a watch on dry land. Also not concerned about trimix capability - if I wind up going that route I'll worry about the computer then, particularly as this would be a ways down the road, and is not necessarily ever going to happen.
Any suggestions or experience with the Oceanic, or any alternate computers to consider?

Last edited:
I assume you mean the Oceanic VT 4.1. This computer has been discontinued by Oceanic but is still available. Leisure Pro has it for only $475 with transmitter and download cable.

I have a VT 3, more than 5 years old, more than 600 dives. It has performed flawlessly, I just put in the 4th battery, changing is very easy. I have all these dives downloaded to OceanLog. I bought a VT 4.1, minimally used, from a friend recently for my son. I tried it out prior to giving it to my son for a recent liveaboard trip. The menu is improved over my VT 3 and the VT 4.1 has dual algorithm rather than only DSAT. Otherwise, is very familiar and has performed well, so far. The VT 3 is easy to read, the VT 4.1 a little better.

Personally, I'm not interested in the new Oceanic VTX. I'm interested to see what Aqua Lung brings out in their new line of dive computers for 2016, after their purchase of Pelagic Pressure Systems (OEM for Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis, Beuchat...) from American Underwater Products (parent of Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris before brand discontinued)

Good luck in your computer purchase

I have used a VT 4.1 for almost 170 dives. A few weeks ago I destroyed my first VT 4.1 by being careless on a shore dive, completely my fault. I'm waiting for a refurbished replacement from Oceanic. In the meantime, I bought a "new but discontinued" 4.1 so soon I'll have a primary and a backup.

So, yes, I like it a lot. The AI feature has worked consistently well for me, no issues. It's easy to operate. I love that it downloads to my logging software, shows me my profile and other pertinent info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom