Oceanic VEO180 or some inexpensive computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Do you know of a chart that compares different brands....
... http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/pdf/200806_scubalab.pdf

Thanks!
I dont understand their numbering system. Seems like a 200 would be newer than a 180. One of my questions to the Oceanic rep is how old is the veo 100 and how old is the 180-? I didnt even know that they had made a 200!
The old 100 and 200 were the 180 and 250 of their day (although the 100 did not do nitrox)
I first had the 100, then traded it back to the LDS and upgraded to the 200, even though (at the time) I didn't think I would ever have a use for the nitrox capability, I liked it very much and what do you know, I have a nitrox cert now and didnt have to change my computer

The 180 is discontinued. If buying online, make sure it is an authorized dealer for the new 180 so you have warranty. Your present choices unless it is a left over 180 is the Veo 100NX or the Veo 250 in the Oceanic line. If you are buying used, none of this will apply.

Why do you say buying from an authorized dealer will give you a better warranty?

If the computer of this type dies, no one will fix it. It is simply not cost effective for them on these simple, cheap puck computers. They may replace it, but neither the factory nor an un-authorized dealer will have replacements to give once stock is depleted. Both will have the option of sending you a comparable computer or maybe giving you a discount on a new one. There is no assurance the factory will be more generous than an on-line dealer. Both can either treat your fairly or screw you.

My recomendation is if buying gear from a non-authorized dealer, read their warranty carefully BEFORE you buy and compare it to the factory warranty.

I do hold an opinion on new products in that buying from authorized dealers has an advantage. They may have access to firmware upgrades, recall notices and proprietary knowledge from the factory than is not available to non-authorized dealers or the public. They are also in a better position to assist if something is not working right, but not totally broken. Always a possibility with new products, but not really an issue here.

I am a new diver, so my experience is similar to the OPs. I purchased the Oceanic Nav console with the VEO 180. I have used it on four dives now. Here are my observations:

1. I like that I can download the dive profile and analyze my dives. As a new diver I still need work on rates of depth change. I tend to go too fast. I have not been able to effectively use the rate display while I am executing a depth change (too many other things to watch). So this function has limited utility for me. Maybe when I get more experienced. I can see where it would be good if you were following an anchor line up or down; I have only done quarry dives since the purchase.

2. I actually like the cycling planning display. For example, if I know I am going to restrict the next dive to say less than 50 feet. I know it is safe to dive if the planner shows an available bottom time longer than my air supply.

Last week I did a couple of shallow dives with my youngest son. We did not exceed 40 feet on the first dive which lasted a little less than an hour. Knowing the second dive would mirror the first, I could see how much bottom time we could safely get at planned depth. In this case, very little surface interval was required. By the time we had a sandwich and drink and prepared our gear we were good for a 3+ hour dive at planned depth.

I am new and cautious so I made sure we were very liberal with the SIs and that I compared what the computer was showing to the tables. I would be more confident if I was diving with someone with a computer and compared data. For this reason, I am going to invest in a computer for my son.

3. I am not sure about the alarm being useful. I have had depth change rates that should have activated the alarm, but I have not heard anything. I am wearing a hood so that may be a factor. Next time I dive, I will try to set up a circumstance deliberately to set off an alarm and see if I can hear it. Of course, the problem may be me as I am 63 years old and was an Air Force pilot for 20 years, then a commercial pilot for another 17 years and the jet noise may have killed my hearing in that range.

I am very glad that I invested in the computer. It is helping me be more aware of my dive profiles and helped me be more comfortable with planning and surface intervals. My son and I only have seven dives where we were solely responsible for the planning.

3. I am not sure about the alarm being useful. I have had depth change rates that should have activated the alarm, but I have not heard anything. I am wearing a hood so that may be a factor. Next time I dive, I will try to set up a circumstance deliberately to set off an alarm and see if I can hear it. Of course, the problem may be me as I am 63 years old and was an Air Force pilot for 20 years, then a commercial pilot for another 17 years and the jet noise may have killed my hearing in that range.

>> It is a hood - I can not hear alarm when I am diving in cold water with thick hood, but I and my buddy(!) hearing it in warm water without hood very good (some times it is very annoying)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom