Oceanic SPG... is it supposed to rattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubysnaps!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I recently acquired an Ocanic SPG with integrated temp gauge...thing is, it rattles, I'm obviously apprehensive to use it...is it ok if it rattles? If it's not why would it be rattling? If it is!? Why does it rattle?

Cheers
Woody

Sounds broken to me.

cheers... thats what I and a few buddies thought, to be honest its from ebay, and the seller assures me its ok as he's been servicing items like this for over 25 years, I am trying to have something more substantial to go back to him with.

It's hard to tell over the internet (can't hear it overhere :D )
But if it's a distinct metalic rattle,it might be the bourdontube came loose.
IF it's a very light sound it could be the spring from the temp. gauge.

I have the same thing with a DR pressure gauge (small with a non-glass face). I sent it back, they checked it out, and said it was fine. I have not had any issues with it although it still rattles. So you may be OK. Like you though, I would still like to know what causes the rattle.

Does it rattle under pressure or just when nothing's attached?

My old USD plastic/acrylic SPG rattled as did/does my friends, mine worked as does his currently, from memory mine rattled somewhat from day 1. I have also noticed a rattle in Mares SPG I was looking at in a dive store. I guess it depends on how loud/large the "rattle" is and if its misreading as to how much of problem it is. I now have a Brass and Glass SPG, very sturdy and doesn't rattle, I like the way it "sits" too due to its weight(?), yes I like it. Good luck.

I actually have an oceanic spg (on temporary loan waiting for my glass and brass to arrive) and it rattles but works just fine.

I went through about 10 SPGs checking for a rattle. 2 of the 10 rattle. One of 3 Z90s (older brass & glass) and a Dacor with clear plastic case. I could not see what was causing the rattle in the Dacor - no loose parts. My conclusion is that they do not need to rattle to work correctly but the rattle may well not be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom