Oceanic Probe LX BC, concerns with LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_lover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

My LDS highly recommended and sold me the probe lx bc. i already used it once in the pool on fri and in a fresh water lake on sun. i have a couple of issues:

1) sun night, was the only time i got to read the manual etc. I noticed that the QA date on the BC was april07. is the shelf life of oceanic BCs 18 months??? When I bought it, the LDS did not have it in stock and they had to order it in for me and I had to wait at least a couple of weeks. So I am not sure where the delay is. Is this alright or am I supposed to get a later batch or something?

2) Since my LDS did not have the BC in stock, they guestimated my size and ordered a large for me. I wear size 40 shirts and I feel L was a little too big for me. I mentioned this to my instructor the first time i wore it in the pool and he said i was definitely not medium. I want to go and try a medium but I am not sure if LDS would change it.

Because of the above two reasons, I am not feeling good about the 750$ i spent on the BC. Is any of the above addressable? Will mu LDS be able to change this to a newer M BC?

Please help. I am a new diver and have already spent big bucks....

if you paid that much ,I would have gone with a scubapro bc and a regulator..That way you would have gotten a free computer..How tall and how much do you weigh??That info would give some of the people here an idea on what size bc you may wear.Size 40 shirt sounds like a large to me.

I have had this bc for over three years without a problem. The bigger problem lies with your lds, I got mine for $450 and if i didn't like it they would exchange it for me right away. It seems to me that they charged you to much for the bc, so i would second guess all my other purchases from them. You said that you have allready spent a lot of money(like all of us)on your gear, i hope that they didn't take advantage of an inexperianced diver, that to me would be bad for bussiness. You can see how honest they are if you can compair prices online. If the prices are close don't get mad, A lds will probable be a little more so they can get bye.

I dive a probe. I'm 5'7" 165lbs with a 42 inch chest. I wear a medium. It fits well even when I use a trilam drysuit. I sincerely hope you got more than just the bc for that price. You don't say where you are. There is no shelf life on a bc. Like a car, the tag being April 07 means nothing. My new 2009 kawasaki was built in june of 08. There is no earthly reason to pay that much for a bc. I don't care who makes it. You do not need a large unless you have big gut or are very tall. I'm very familiar with oceanic sizing. They are generous in that dept. The msrp on that bc is around 550 and they can sell it advertised for 5% under that. If there is no integrated octo/inflator and you are in the US you got screwed.

The MSRP on that BC is 569.95. you may want to find a new LDS if you paid $750 for it. The LDS should swap it out if you need a smaller size.

It must have a Air XS 2 on it the MSRP for it is $199.95.

thanks for your responses. I'll take it back to my lds today and see if they can swap it. i tried it on yesterday at home and can clearly see that it is too big for me. the left and right utility pockets overlap by more than an inch without any suit. so with a suit, they would still be touching each other, which means it will not be a good fit. i am 5'7'', 175lbs.

as for the price, i should have been more specific. i paid abt 675+13% tax which comes close to 750. i bought this in canada in CADs and we are used to paying a premium of 20% compared to you lucky folks in the states :(

Dive equipment online ? Oceanic Canada scuba gear

like i said, i'll see if my lds can swap it. i am planning to do dive mastering with them. so i hope they have some consideration for me. i'll keep u guys posted...

Even for Canada that's a bit high. I would take some time and shop around. Your profile doesn't show your location, but if you are in Ontario, there are a few shops which sell Oceanic and a few that cannot carry Oceanic as a line (exclusivity which is bogus in my opinion) but can order it.

I believe Oceanic still has a fit guarantee that allows you to return the product within 30 days and exchange it for a different size or model (not necessarily a refund). This should be effective with all of their authorized dealers. I'm not sure whether that applies in canada or not though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom