Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Vs. VT Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daytona

Registered
Reaction score
Though it may be a waste of money, I really want a dive computer. One feature I need is large numbers though I could get reading glasses in my mask's lenses.

I read the thread about wrist mounted Vs console mounts and saw the poll result. I have no problem with either mount.

I have heard good things about the Oceanic Pro plus 2. I also like the new Oceanic VT Pro wireless. I like the concept but the wireless technology frightens me. It has an added level of complexity that can lead to failure. The VT Pro seems a little big for my wrist. However, it is available with a retractor mount for mounting on the BC. Kewl!

Actually I am quite comfortable with my current analog gauges. If I can get some input on this I would be most grateful.

Eric

I stayed away from the wireless stuff initially, too many folks with problems with strobes, etc. However, I haven't heard a lot of this same kind of problem with the more recent wireless computers (Vytec, VT Pro). Since the VT Pro is pretty cheap comparitively, I have one on order at the LDS. I'll let you know how it turns out.

My setup will probably still have an analog SPG (Mares Mission compact) on one of the HP ports and the VT Pro on the other (Oceanic DX4), since I doubt I'll take the SPG off. Check out the compact SPGs (Dacor, Scubapro, Mares all have one) as a backup SPG for any wireless computer. If you like the VT Pro, but you don't need the AI part, you could go with the Versa Pro, which is basically the same thing without the ability to use the transmitter. Computers with big numerals are big on the wrist, no way around that. I fear retractors simply because I'm afraid I'll get back on the boat and either I won't have it or I'll have dragged it on the bottom.

As far as readablility, have you seen the Magnum 6 Mask by Sherwood? It has some lower windows that can be order with magnifiers to give you a kind of bifocal for reading gauges. If you have an LDS that can order it, the Magnum 6 gauge reader is the one you would want. It's pretty cool, although I don't know if you're looking to change masks...

Well I bought the Oceanic Prop Plus 2. I took it for a test drive in my pool yesterday and it seems to have been the right choice. The large digits are readable even with my old eye's.

Some of the set up modes are a bit hard for me to figure out though. For instance, what is turn pressure and end pressure?

Anyway, I'm diving tomorrow at Blue spring Park tomorrow. I'll give it a real test over there. A single tank dive with a max depth of 60 feet. I can play with it without getting into trouble.

Eric

I've got the VT Pro and it has the same features. You can set the turn pressure( the amount of gas you want left at the turn point in your dive) and you can set the end pressure i.e. 500 psi, 600psi etc.... The method of setting them is probably different but my owners manual walked me through it without a problem.

Thanks, the term turn pressure had me confused. End pressure seems like a good idea in the digital gauge mode.

I can see why so many of the alarms come with a factory setting of zero. So many alarms, so little time underwater.:) It's it's nice to have the choice. I like the choice of shutting the alarms off. However on my last photo "mission", my buddy tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to her watch. Hmmmm.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom