Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer. Oceanic wants to drop the ball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please don't blame Oceanic (or any other company for that matter) because you left it sitting for years.

That being said, I do have had a problem like yours with the PP2.
Just disconnect it from the HP hose and give the HP inlet(on the PP2) a blast of air, I have no clue why it works, but it did for me.

Hope it helps.

responding to Jim L. I never said I wouldn't explain that the calibration reading of the computer would need to be taken into account, (you assumed that I was untrustworthy, I'm just upset), along with some of your other side notes, and oceanic actually switched computers out and sent me back a reconditioned one, the same one that now reads 160 psi. thank you though. I am ending this now, I'm going to get my computer sent back on Monday and deal with it another way.
So it's Oceanic's fault that you did not dive it for a year? Why did you buy it in the first place. If anyone is to blame here it's whoever talked you into a $600 computer that was not going to get used. They did a rebuild once. There is a one year warranty. You obviously did not tell them they had rebuilt it before you sent it in. At that point they could have informed you that there is a one year warranty on rebuilds. Oceanic seems to be going above and beyond. As an Oceanic tech I can tell you that it is not something a tech can address. It is a factory issue since tech;s do not have access to the electronic components. All of the stuff is integrated into them and you can't just go in and replace a sensor.

What I would have done is gotten the comp back and dove the hell out of it for a month. Even if it meant going into a 15 ft deep pond or swimming pool and made sure it was OK. Was it actually working and did you check every function when you got it back? First thing I would have done.

And I'm not a lawyer, but now that you have posted that the computer is defective and reads incorrectly, Oceanic is not the one who will likely get hit with a lawsuit or perhaps criminal charges if you give it to a kid's club and somebody gets hurt. Stuff you write on the internet NEVER goes away. I believe the term could be negligent criminal homicide if some one dies. Your actions directly contribute to the death of an individual because you knew the item was dangerous yet you did not inform them of such and you allowed some one to die over $160 bucks? Guilty.

300 bar is right, why you had dive op put in battery, I do not know, go buy a battery that is not been on a shelf like a dive shop batteries do and go dive it, bet after a few dive it will be fine. or you can argue till your blue on here.

Let us Know the outcome, and yes if you were going to let someone else die, you must be tuff enough to do the dive. Take redundant needs to the dive, another computer that runs in the same lines is the test.

Happy Diving

Rofl, you've got a 7 yr old computer that was repaired 6 yrs ago and is now out of calibration and you think that its the manufacturers problem and they should fix it for free? Yeah sure, ok. Good luck with that.

This is not an Oceanic issue. This is an irrational customer issue.

you all should read the bottom of my very first post, if I were to sell/give it to someone, I would explain the issues, but I'm not going to, unless the problem is addressed first. I accept that things happen, I just don't accept that people don't go above and beyond anymore, could have been my life if circumstances had been different. but I give up!

If a 100 psi error had cost you your life, not only are you irrational for expecting warranty service 6 yrs beyond the warranty period, but your looking for a darwin award for running your tank down that far. Although, that might be the sort of thing to expect from a diver living in an alternate reality who hadn't been diving in 6 yrs.

I get it now and understand the point of view, but this computer which belonged to my family member was untouched and I was angry and wanting it to work for them. sorry I seemed unreasonable to all of you kind, understanding, down to earth people. people that don't log their dives, don't dive off the boat or with me, because they have no experience! I won't be visiting this thread again, so no need to post a follow-up reply, unless you are a fool. lets see who it is?

Oceanic did go above and beyond their expectations for you. As the above writer said, I'll bet you left the battery in the computer for five years. When any electronic runs on low voltage, errors are going to occur. At the very least, you should have taken the battery out of it if you weren't using it. That also applies to $10 flashlights as well. Take some personal responsibility. The least you could have done is to check out the computer when you got it back from being serviced a number of years ago. I'll bet you the price of a new computer that if you would have checked it out then, it would have worked perfectly. And, if you would have taken the battery out of it when you weren't using it, it would still work perfectly. It is YOU that dropped the ball.

you're expecting a lifetime warranty just because you don't dive very much? I don't think it's oceanic that is out of line here....

Bracko, you hit the nail on the head. There are warranty periods for a reason. It's no one's fault but the OP's that the flaw wasn't discovered while this unit was still under warranty

Back
Top Bottom