Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computer. Oceanic wants to drop the ball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judothrow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
purchased brand new from dolphin scuba in sacramento in or about 2004 and logged exactly 2 dives, sent in to dolphin for service and they sent it out under warranty to Oceanic. Oceanic decided it needed a complete rebuild and that was performed in 2005, we got the computer back and never used it. It still has the same 2 logged dives on it and it looks like brand new, however, when I had the shop put in a new battery, I pressed the start button and it now reads 160 psi, with no tank hooked up and with a tank containing 3000 psi, it reads 3160 psi.

I informed Oceanic and sent it back to a tech named mark, he said if he could confirm only 2 dives were present on the computer, he would see about getting it fixed under warranty. Upon receiving the computer, he noted that it had previously been through the rebuild process in 2005 (which I forgot to explain to him), he said at best he could only extend a 1 year warranty and it had far exceeded that.

This computer hasn't even been wet since Oceanic supposedly did the last overhaul in 2005, and my feeling is they should be more than happy to pick up the tab, who cares if it's out of warranty, this could kill someone and it's there name on the product.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, maybe going back through dolphin, who sent it off in the first place?

Maybe I will tell them to send it back to me and that I will let someone else take there chances with the computer after I explain what's going on, if they die, Oceanic can be responsible?

I would feel different about this had the computer been used or neglected, stored improperly, etc........

From my perspective, your argument is groundless, as is your statement that Oceanic "dropped the ball".
As for the rest, if you intentionally use equipment you know to be faulty, anything that goes wrong is your fault, not the manufacturer.

From my perspective, your argument is groundless, as is your statement that Oceanic "dropped the ball".
As for the rest, if you intentionally use equipment you know to be faulty, anything that goes wrong is your fault, not the manufacturer.

groundless, means there is nothing wrong with computer and it never underwent a reconditioning from Oceanic. But it has and hasn't been wet since, so I must have received the equipment that way in the first place, so shame on me for not diving every day or year, or maybe sometimes going above and beyond is called for, especially since it's already been in there hands and not dived since. Your input might be warranted, if there were no grounds for my complaints. Oceanic wants to do nothing, and that's says to me that they WANT to drop the ball.

I feel for you and sucks to be placed in this situation however you do not need to dive the unit "Evey day or every year" but once you got it back you should have checked it out and hooked it up to make sure it was working properlly. And you never know it may have been working properlly all those years ago and literally been something that just broke it is electronic and anything can happen even if it just sits. But I sent out a datamask for a new glass/battery etc... First thing I did once I recieved it was turned it on hooked it to tank to mak sure it was working "at that time" and didnt dive it for about 6months.

groundless, means there is nothing wrong with computer and it never underwent a reconditioning from Oceanic. But it has and hasn't been wet since, so I must have received the equipment that way in the first place, so shame on me for not diving every day or year, or maybe sometimes going above and beyond is called for, especially since it's already been in there hands and not dived since. Your input might be warranted, if there were no grounds for my complaints. Oceanic wants to do nothing, and that's says to me that they WANT to drop the ball.

you're expecting a lifetime warranty just because you don't dive very much? I don't think it's oceanic that is out of line here....

If Oceanic tells me, just send in your unit and if he can determine by looking at it, that it obviously only has 2 dives then he will get it taken care of under warranty, but after receiving it, notes that while it may only have 2 dives, the unit previously already been through the reconditioning process once, and that he can't do anything past 1 year. Tells me, the product obviously had problems from the get go, and they just wanted me to send it in at $20 cost and tell me $160 plus return cost of shipping plus tax and we can fix it again (just wanted it in there hands at a cost to me, so I would pay to get it back). I'm goanna drop this, but I realize things break from time to time, and don't think electronics last forever, however; when they are stored in my closet and kept dry, they should work untill knocked around, or water enters, or soooo much time has gone by that the plastic is deterioriating around the electronics. I think I'll donate it to a kids club, I'm not using it and Oceanic has no problem sending the product back to me in this condition, so it must be ok to use. it's only showing an extra 160 psi of extra air that doesn't exist, that's all. thanks and for the record, I did hit the start button to make sure the computer worked, because it was originally sent off for a battery replacement and got reconditioned for some reason, so hitting the start button seemed ok thing, and unless you are really in tuned with things, seeing the psi reading 160 psi might not jump out at you. So I'm an idiot, I won't buy another Oceanic product, let this be a lesson to others, don't count on support past the original warranty, even if the product is still in unused condition since last use, which original use was only 2 dives (that is piss poor), and I don't care how many of you Oceanic lovers comment on my naive behavior. I also wanted to let all know, that while this unit didn't get used, previously my Oceanic Pro Plus unit never failed me, not once, say for a battery only! I think Oceanic isn't what they once were, definately not on the product realiabilty concern end, 2 dives and 2 reconditionings, (COME ON, PLEASE)!

Last edited:
I also have a Pro Plus 2 that had to be rebuilt. I had 5 dives on it. It sat for 3 years when we I tried to use it again that is when it had to be rebuilt after the battery leaked into the computer. You get a 1 year warranty from the day you buy it. It does not matter if you buy it, and it sits for 1+ years or you dive every day for that one year. As soon as the 1 year (from the purchase day) is up, your warranty is history no matter how many dives you have or don't have on it. You should have checked the computer the day you got it back to make sure it was working. Cause if it was not, then you have a basis to have them fix it cause it was not fixed correctly the first time. But if you waited to check it out, then you don't have any basis for getting them to fix the issue.

I get it, the days of going above and beyond are gone, and the days of getting more than 2 dives out of a $600 dive computer as well, a company shouldn't be counted on to provide a device that should last more than a year the first time (they sent me a reconditioned unit, now that I remember) not my same unit back, and I never dove this unit since they sent it to me. I end this thread now! I will now like to ask if anybody knows if this is a high pressure sensor issue and if a LDS can address this, should have checked with them in the first place, I seriously don't want to give Oceanic a cent, if I can at all possibly have this addressed elsewhere. please don't respond to this thread anymore with (you should have checked it sooner, I have no basis for being upset with Oceanic, or anything along those lines), all I want to know now, is, can any tech qualified with this product provide the needed service, or is this an Oceanic fixable issue only? they know it's a single issue, but making me pay for $160 total rebuild again for the second time, because they say, they care about liability issues, for a year anyway LMAO:) just a side note: when something like this is out there and obviously wrong, does it take somebody to die, like in the case of Toyota Prius acceleration pedal and the big recall thing, before a manufacturer feels a responsibility, I don't think my calibration issue is an isolated issue. I'm not complaining of a battery that dies to often, or a temperture sensor giving false readings, or inaccurate depth reading, etc........I'm talking about a computer telling you, you have air, when you don't. If everyone thinks I'm off the wall, then I guess I'm just off the wall, now it's not even about the money issue and paying for another reconditioning or reconditioned unit all together, like they did to us to begin with.

Last edited:
So it's Oceanic's fault that you did not dive it for a year? Why did you buy it in the first place. If anyone is to blame here it's whoever talked you into a $600 computer that was not going to get used. They did a rebuild once. There is a one year warranty. You obviously did not tell them they had rebuilt it before you sent it in. At that point they could have informed you that there is a one year warranty on rebuilds. Oceanic seems to be going above and beyond. As an Oceanic tech I can tell you that it is not something a tech can address. It is a factory issue since tech;s do not have access to the electronic components. All of the stuff is integrated into them and you can't just go in and replace a sensor.

What I would have done is gotten the comp back and dove the hell out of it for a month. Even if it meant going into a 15 ft deep pond or swimming pool and made sure it was OK. Was it actually working and did you check every function when you got it back? First thing I would have done.

And I'm not a lawyer, but now that you have posted that the computer is defective and reads incorrectly, Oceanic is not the one who will likely get hit with a lawsuit or perhaps criminal charges if you give it to a kid's club and somebody gets hurt. Stuff you write on the internet NEVER goes away. I believe the term could be negligent criminal homicide if some one dies. Your actions directly contribute to the death of an individual because you knew the item was dangerous yet you did not inform them of such and you allowed some one to die over $160 bucks? Guilty.

Why don't you park your vehicle for 5 or 6 years and see what all is wrong with the vehicle when you go to use it. I bet you stored it for years with the battery in it, bad idea. Go diving once an awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom