Oceanic pre-95 balanced piston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKSZEA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hoping someone can give me some insight here. I just acquired a pre-95 Oceanic balanced piston 1st stage, but the LP turrent area is different than the other 3 that I have. Specifically, there is a plug in the bottom of the LP area. I was wondering if this is legit, or is the turret from a different 1st stage. The one is question is on the left in the photos. It came with an Omega II second stage. Has anyone ever seen this before on an Oceanic pre-95 BP 1st stage?

Attachments

• IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 185
While I'm not familiar with Oceanic per se, that simply looks like an upgraded turret. The upgrade in this case provides an additional port. Theoretically, a port on the end of the turret and in line with the flow straight out of the piston should have better flow. Additionally, you may find an advantage in hose routing.

The ScubaPro MK 5 went through the same evolution-the Oceanic BP (I think you have a PX2) is a clone of the MK 5.

Here is a copy of the PX2 service manual.

Attachments

• Oceanic PX2.pdf
    738 KB · Views: 142
Couv, having trouble sleeping or are you an incredibly early riser?

Anyhow, OP, take out that plug and see if a LP hose fits, it probably will and that means Couv is correct as usual. It is amazing how closely those regs resemble MK5s.

I have seen the Omega II on that first stage a couple of times. But if you don't like it, I would be happy to take it off your hands. :wink:

Well, I took out the plug. The hole is much bigger than a LP hose connection. Tried a HP hose too. Bigger than that too. The plot thickens.......
I opened it up and it is pristine on the inside. I don't think it has ever been in the water. Sorry Joe - not giving this one up :D

Some low pressure ports were designed with 1/2-20 size threads to accommodate so called "high flow" hoses.

I would leave the plug in it; but if you want to use it as designed, you'll need a second stage hose with that thread size http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/mares-lp-hose-1-2-22-prestige-superflex/

Alternatively, you can get a 1/2"-20 to 3/8"-24 adapter if you find you like the hose routing.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/low-pressure-hose-adapters/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom