Oceanic OC1 Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vsc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm sure in the end my Oceanic OC1 is heading back to Oceanic for repair, but I'm wondering if anyone else had the following failure. In short after downloading the day's dives the OC1 just sitting by itself and it beeped with one flash of the red LED. I just happened to be looking at the OC1. When I looked at the display it was blank with only the backlight turning on when its button was pressed.

Pulling the back off of the computer showed there was no water in the computer, nor evidence that there ever was any moisture inside of the unit.

I tried two other new batteries with similar results. When powered the OC1 lights it red LED for a few seconds, followed by turning off the LED, followed by a single flash and beep. The display remains off just like when it failed after the day's diving.

What concerns me is that I read elsewhere that repair involves replacement of the module for ~$380. Given the unit is out of warrantee I'm left with potentially paying for a new module or simply moving on to a OCi or a i450 which is basically the identical unit. In fact given the sale of Pelagic and the breakup of Oceanic the i450 might be the best path forward.

I personally own an OC1. From the symptoms you describe and after having replaced twice the battery (which is equivalent to have reset your computer the same number of times), I am afraid the electronic module of your OC1 is fried. Probably makes sense to look into an Aqualung i450 and get yourself a one year warranty. I concur that is essentially the same computer as the OC1, except that, in my opinion, the OC1 has a more sleek design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom