Oceanic GT3 vs EDGE EXP (budget reg purchase)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbfifas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am a warm water diver here in east coast Florida. Like to dive for lobsters and pleasure in 20-90' of water. Im also thinking about getting into spear fishing. I have found the following reg sets at Divers-supply.com. I am trying to put together a budget friendly set up and it seems getting the 2 gauge console and octo with the reg saves ~$100. Both reg sets come with a cheapo Sea Elite OCTO and a 2 gauge console. My options are:

Edge EXP - $299
Edge EXP Regulator Package @ Divers-Supply.com

Oceanic GT3/CDX-5 - $369
OCEANIC GT3-CDX5 PACKAGE @ Divers-Supply.com

I am thinking about pairing with a back inflate BCD. I have only used jackets but keep reading good things about the back inflate and I am willing to try it.

EDGE Stealth 2. $225
Edge Stealth 2 BCD @ Divers-Supply.com

I am trying to keep my cost under $600 for my reg set, gauge, and BCD and these seem to fit the bill. I am OK with sending away for service, my local LDS sells Sherwood and is super expensive. The 2 year service interval on the EDGE is attractive but the tried and true GT-3 combo is as well. Any opinions or other options is greatly appreciated? Thanks so much.
-Brendon

GT-3 is so called mechanical balance. The way I understand it is actually NOT balance. Edge 2nd stage is pnuematic balance, this is what we usually refer to as balance. So 2nd stage alone, I would say Edge will out perform GT3. No personal experience with Edge, but I use HOG. If they 2nd stage is basically same, which I believe it is, then performance on Edge should be 2nd to none.

As for built quality, I can sure say Edge 2nd stage is a level higher than GT3, or anything I have come across from Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris.

You might also check eBay, for a used but higher end reg set. No few number of snobs will let go of their 2-3 yr old gear just have the latest and greatest marketing wonder in their dive bag. Look for something used in freshwater or just a few times on vacations.inknw you can't always tell from the pictures, but the real dogs will at least be obvious.

Hello,

I am a warm water diver here in east coast Florida. Like to dive for lobsters and pleasure in 20-90' of water. Im also thinking about getting into spear fishing. I have found the following reg sets at Divers-supply.com. I am trying to put together a budget friendly set up and it seems getting the 2 gauge console and octo with the reg saves ~$100. Both reg sets come with a cheapo Sea Elite OCTO and a 2 gauge console. My options are:

Edge EXP - $299
Edge EXP Regulator Package @ Divers-Supply.com

Oceanic GT3/CDX-5 - $369
OCEANIC GT3-CDX5 PACKAGE @ Divers-Supply.com

I am thinking about pairing with a back inflate BCD. I have only used jackets but keep reading good things about the back inflate and I am willing to try it.

EDGE Stealth 2. $225
Edge Stealth 2 BCD @ Divers-Supply.com

I am trying to keep my cost under $600 for my reg set, gauge, and BCD and these seem to fit the bill. I am OK with sending away for service, my local LDS sells Sherwood and is super expensive. The 2 year service interval on the EDGE is attractive but the tried and true GT-3 combo is as well. Any opinions or other options is greatly appreciated? Thanks so much.
-Brendon

I have both the Edge and the GT3 they both work real well i think the GT3 breaths a little better at depth. But not a huge difference . both are good regs you wouldn't go wrong with ether one. good luck with your new regs that you choose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom