Oceanic GEO quirk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bparker

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I freedive weekly and wear a GEO that I got in Jan'10. Last weekend it displayed "CHNG BATY" occassionally during my diving. It did not show the low battery icon at the start of the day, nor at the end of the day, and it doesn't show it now. I sent an email to Oceanic but haven't hear back yet. Have any of your GEO's behaved this way?

you're even luckier than others check out this link

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/309747-oceanic-geo-eating-batteries.html

but in fairness they immediately reply to my query and after a couple emails they sent me a return advise number but unfortunately i dont yet send mine aside from the fact that I'm here im Middle East, I dont have yet another dive computer so i just keep changing battery before diving easier and more economical for me for the time being.

Guys, several of those computers had issues and were replaced by Oceanic. There was some kind of issue where the batteries were failing very quickly. We swapped out 2 geo's and 2 Atom 2.0's. If you go to your Oceanic Dealer or call Oceanic, tell them the problem, they will swap it out for a shiny new one. You do have to pay shipping one way though.

We did this with a customer's computer as recently as 3 weeks ago.

For what it's worth, I have a Veo 250 (very similar to the Geo). It has been used for nearly 300 dives with no problems and the batteries have lasted reasonable amounts of time. I do not change them on a schedule, preferring to wait until each is exhausted. So, on our last trip, the battery indicator said 'full', but within 2 days and 4 dives, it went to 'empty' during a dive. When I surfaced, it turned on again. So, I used it the next day, no problems. The computer bounced back and forth between OK and empty for another day before dying for good, at which point I changed the battery. My point is, that the depletion of energy in the battery or the computer's ability to detect that depletion may not be linear. The readings are probably accurate, as far as they go, but should be taken with a grain of precaution when odd readings begin to occur on the battery indicator. My guess is that the battery is on the verge of being empty, and the readings are just bouncing around that threshold.

Back
Top Bottom